1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding two hens to an existing group of three - all active layers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hens1952, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Hens1952

Hens1952 New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Andover, MA
    Hello! David, here - a.k.a. Hens1952. First timer - my wife and I rented three Red Comets and a coop and now own the ladies and built a coop from a kit. Love the cluck sisters! Will be getting two more - any tips on acclimating them to be happy together?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi David, [​IMG]

I would recommend using the "see but don't touch" method of integration. Here is an article about that. It would also be a good idea to quarantine the newcomers-- here is an article on that. Really, the most important things are to make sure the new birds are healthy and have lots of space in the coop and run.

Best of luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hens1952, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. Great advice already from BuffOrp88 so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    coop kits generally do not comfortably accommodate the number of birds they advertise. Adding more will probably make if very crowded. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird inside the coop excluding nest boxes and roosts. In the outdoor run they should have 10 sq. feet per bird. Chickens DO NOT like being crowded and can resort to unpleasant behaviors.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! You've gotten great advice and links, so I'll just say hi! :frow

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

Definitely keeping them separated by wire or fencing of some sort but within the flock at all times for a couple to several weeks will help with integration. Always watch for aggression that first week upon mixing. I always add more food and water stations when mixing as the original flock can have a tendency of guarding these areas starving the new birds out. More stations will help with this...they can't guard them all.

Good luck and welcome to our flock! :)

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Its great to have you David! Enjoy BYC and best of luck with those hens!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by