Adding Vitamins to Chick's Water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oktober, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I was in the tack and feed store today looking at supplies in advance of our chicks arriving in a few weeks. The sales person who was answering my questions kept pushing the vitamins/electrolyte packets to add to the chick's water. I thought I read somewhere that there is a downside to supplementing vitamins/electrolytes in young chicks. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

-Okt

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ordinarily, chick feed contains all needed nutrients. You can overdo both certain vitamins and, certainly, electrolytes. They may be helpful during an illnessor when dehydrated, or for a day or two after shipping for new chicks, but I wouldn't add them routinely.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What ddawn said.

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    This year I decided I would add the mcmurray broiler booster and electrolytes to my laying chicks on a regular basis for the first four weeks (until packets were gone). This years batch was the most active and healthy batch I had seen in a long time. Highly recommended.

5. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Knock on wood that I haven't had to give GroGel Plus-B here recently but have had to in the past.
    Luckily I get my little chicks locally

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use Polyvisol vitamins without iron in their water. They are infant vitamins sold at many stores. I prefer using vitamins because not all the vitamins are in their feed. My chicks are growing up very well. I also use probios probiotics in their water as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by