Adding wild bird feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by philiph, Jul 20, 2011.

1. philiph

philiph New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    I am thinking about adding a bag of wild bird (seeds) in with my layer crumble. I will using 200lbs of chicken feed and was wondering how much bird feed to add to that to have a added treat in their feed. They love the seeds when I use it as scratch. Any suggestions pro or con to this would be great also.
    Thanks
    Philip

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I use Wild Bird Seed on ocacscion (Spelling not too good today).

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You will know how much is too much when your egg production drops, or the shells get weak.

4. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    It depends on how big the bag of bird seed is. I would think a 40 lb bag to the 200 lbs would be fine.

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:Was about say use it as treats, but see that you are using them as treats. Why not leave well enough along?

Someone said that treats are like candy. Should you put candy in your kids meals? Or add extra sugar to your diet? Hmmm, we are doing it and then gripe about being obese and unhealthy?!

6. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I will throw a cup full of wild bird seed into the run (5 birds) when it's too hot/cold or dangerous to free range. The guy at the feed store said it holds no nutritional value and is like candy to them. When they are out free ranging it seems they like to congregate under the bird feeders anyway. Hope that helps
    P.S. EC, just read your post, I suppose that makes mine redundant [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by