1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adding younger chicks to the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsTpratt, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    i have 8 RIR that are about 2 weeks old (maybe a bit older) and today i just added 2 few day old silver laced. the RIR are pecking at the new ones eyes and becks. it's not constant but still looks like it may hurt. [​IMG] i'm scared to leave the brooder thinking they may harm them. is this normal? will they harm them? or once they get use to them they will adopt them in?

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's normal and hopefully will calm down when they get more accustomed to each other. It would be good if the little ones had a hiding spot, and the larger the brooder, the better. If blood is drawn, you will have to intervene.

3. mrsTpratt

mrsTpratt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    thank you for responding. they all seem to be getting along for the most part now. the babies still want to sleep a lot though and with the older ones running around they get woke up a lot. i'm going to try and figure out a way to give them a hiding spot. also, do you happen to know if it's normal they haven't eaten anything yet? i've seen them drink a bit, but no food. i even tried holding them with food in my hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by