Adding younger chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emily77, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Emily77

Emily77 Chirping

I have 15 chicks all 3 weeks old, was thinking of adding a couple of black australorps. Brand new australorp chicks will be available in a couple of days - will they integrate alright being 3 weeks younger? Or do they need to be separate or supervised or something.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    They will have different heat requirements. If you are brooding in your house, your 3 week olds should be weaned off heat by now. Where are you brooding your chicks? What size brooder? I think I would brood them separately at this point and then integrate them ASAP when the BA are 4 - 5 weeks old.

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Keep them separate, the older chicks may hurt or bully the younger ones because they'll be smaller. It's better to introduce them slowly, and when the younger one's have caught up in size, around 6-8 weeks? Maybe longer

Emily77 likes this.
  4. Emily77

Emily77 Chirping

You’re gonna laugh...my brooder is a tent in my basement, carpeted with pee-pads with pine shavings on top(pics attached). They have boxes and perches and a swing. What, I said you’re gonna laugh. The current chicks seem to all have different heat preferences at different times as it is. Sometimes there’s a pile near the lamp, sometimes they’re scattered more in the shade. That said, I think the heat situation will be ok for everyone. I’m more concerned the older ones will pick on the little ones.

Attached Files:

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'm glad you have a nice big brooder. You can always try it and see. If it doesn't work, you can go to plan B.

6. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    This is the funniest thing I've ever seen :lau:gigIt is a great set up though

I do think keep the younger chicks separate until they grow a bit. Maybe split the tent down the middle somehow? That way the chicks can share the space and hear (maybe see) each other but not interact directly

Emily77 likes this.
  7. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    That's something I've never seen used for a brooder, it looks like a nice set up. I would give it a try with the new chicks.

Is your heat lamp attached with more than the clamp? If not, please secure it with wire or chain also, so it doesn't fall and start a fire.

:welcome

WVduckchick and Emily77 like this.
  8. Quik1th

Quik1th Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    :love
    I love it! Add a slide!

I am using a premier heating plate and we have staggered age chicks. 3 1/2 wks, 2 1/2 wks and 1 1/2 wks. They are all getting along well and snuggling together when sleeping. With this heat plate you can stagger the leg height to make one end higher so the chicks who need less heat have more room and ones who need more heat can go to the lower end. This has just been my experience so far and this is my first batch of chicks. Not an experienced chicken lady.

Since you have 15 of the bigger chicks and they are farther apart in age it might not work though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Emily77 likes this.
  9. Emily77

Emily77 Chirping

@blackdog043 yes, the heat lamp is hung with a bungee cord. Thanks for checking :)
    @Quik1th a slide! Ha! I have a friend who said he thought his setup was totally awesome until I came along with my Cirque de Soleil for chickens .
    I added all these things (larger scale) to the chicken run expansion last year, but those old chickens had never seen anything but mud so they didn’t hardly look at them. Thought I’d get these girls accustomed to them early, and I’m so tickled every time one jumps up on the swing! It cracks me up! There’s 2 on it right now (attaching pic.)
    Thanks to everyone for input; I’m going to have a smaller pen inside the tent for the new littles, with some limited supervised together time here and there so they get used to each other before they’re all outside together.

Attached Files:

Quik1th likes this.
  10. Lope4Life

Lope4Life In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2018
    SE Texas
    I love your brooder! It’s like a little campsite just for them!

Emily77 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: