Adding youngins to main coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by madmantrapper, Jul 12, 2010.

1. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I added my twelve week olds to the main coop a couple days ago. There was not to much commotion. I have two roosters that I thought might be trouble but it didn't seem to bother them. Today I go out and find two of the youngins in the run kind of off to themselves hugging the fence. One flew over the 11 foot high fence while I was standing there. I caught her and put her back in the coop. I just went out again to check on them and the run in hte run is dead withits head about tore off. It was hen that did it, she is covered with blood. What do you think I should do? Get the hen out or separate them?

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Yikes! I am very sorry. [​IMG]

I would separate the hen. A few days in solitary and she'll loose her place in the pecking order. She may be more subdued/better behaved when she returns. Either that or you could find her a new home.

But you should definitely not just leave her in with the rest. You certainly don't want behavior like that spreading in your flock!

In the meantime, can you put the young birds into a cage? I use a 4x8 chicken wire pen that I keep in the chicken run. If you give them a few weeks to get used to each other through the chicken wire that might help.

I hope things improve in your flock!

3. madmantrapper

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes I was thinking I would get rid of the hen, I don't think she lays anymore anyway.

4. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Um.. Im a little confused did one of your chickens kill the youngsters?
    I am really worried we are adding youngsters 9 weeks next week....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wait was it one of the roosters?
    I am so confused and worried!![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  5. madmantrapper

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    12 week old chicks, fully feathered. And yes a one year old hen killed one of them so far.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is risky putting young birds in with adults. It is best to wait till they are about the same size.

Matt

7. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Are your chickens normally violent?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  8. madmantrapper

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Only 1 rooster is slightly aggresive, never had trouble with a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by