additional "daytime" run made from wire fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilmama, May 28, 2010.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Hi All,

I have been trying to create some more fun daytime space for my 4 ladies w/out letting them just go all over my lawn. I had an idea that I could make an area that was enclosed with wire fencing (you know this kind of stuff: http://ventura.craigslist.org/grd/1758275262.html) and let them cruise around in there when I'm outside- as there will be no "roof" on it.
    Anyone done something like this I could look at to get some ideas? Trying to not do the chicken tractor thing...as I'd like to be able to fence in an area of specific dimensions.
    Thanks!

2. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I added a 12 X 12 foot area made of the 2" X 4 " opening wire fence for our 4 hens and plan to get a couple more. We have a 7' X 10' area for them enclosed in chicken wire. We bought some of the plastic bird mesh to put over the top--we had to "sew" together pieces with nylon string to cover the top. They go out anytime we are home and seem to enjoy it. They WILL scratch up the yard in the enclosure but it gives them a good area for dust bathes. For a door we just cut a section and attached it with heavy duty cable ties (for hinges) and then just bent over ends to hook it closed. Sorry no pictures.

3. tomasko

tomasko Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

I used similar coated wire for the girls run...this is where they spend all day every day. To make access easier we planted two 4x4 posts and a wood gate. The wire was just a little too flimsy for my boys to open and close. Even at 4-feet in height keeps the girls in no problem. Metal stakes at home depot where about 4$ each and a specialized sledge hammer cost about $15. Took maybe an hour to set up over 50-feet of this.

4. lilmama

May 2, 2010
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This even looks like something I can do w/out husbands help. (though I'm sure I'll get a raised eyebrow.) [​IMG]

5. lilmama

May 2, 2010
    p.s. TOMASKO--- how big is that fenced space out of curiosity?

6. tomasko

tomasko Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    The run is around 60-feet ...only three chickens. You can see how quickly they destroyed the grass, we have only had them for five weeks and it went from green to dirt.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My run is made of that welded wire as well! It is strong (as long as you don't bend it in one place too much lol) and I love the look of it. My run is a little.. worse off then the picture above so I won't put an eyesore picture here lol, but it does it's job!

8. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Quote:Tomasko

Do you worry about the run not being covered? Also, what does your coop look like if you don't mind me asking? i am going crazy, back and forth between just throwing something simple together or spending time and $$ (surely I have some somewhere) on a decent coop. I am a college student and will have a yard thats fenced in but I'm wondering if letting them "free range" is a good/bad idea...

Thanks

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Take 200-300 feet of 36-inch wire with 2- x 4-inch openings and make a circle out of it. It will stand by itself without posts in the ground. Chickens will not go over it because they won't fly up unless there's something at the top to land on. You can move the circle every day, once a week, or how often you decide to.

10. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    ha I had to put a top on mine because they kept flying out, my EEs are extremely head strong LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by