Additional question edited post 5 -- Egg laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jtbrown, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Some of my chickens started laying last week (early at 14 weeks, some kind of production red). Of course, the girls start this during my two busiest work weeks due to my colleagues vacation schedules. I want to sit out there with them and watch, but I cannot. So, we have gotten a grand total of 6 eggs in last 6 days (one day 2 eggs same day), skipped a day later. We have 5 of these production reds, and I wasn't expecting eggs from them until mid August earliest but at least 2-3 of them started this week.

Anyway, this morning, I had a few hours before I had to go to work, went out and there was a little hen sitting in a corner and I could see her but she couldn't see me, she was behind a bale of bedding up against a wall with her back to me. Of course they won't use the nest boxes that I hurridly put together until we get the real ones made.

I was excited, as we have gotten an egg or two from that exact spot. So, I watched as she picked up every feather within her 4-5 inch reach and put it on her back. So delicate, then watched her decide she needed some feathers that were farther away and she picked those up and backed back in to her spot and continued to put those on her back. [​IMG] I waited for ten minutes, I really want to hear Egg Song that I have heard about and haven't heard it yet. I had to go back in house to get ready, but stopped by on my way to work and sure enough, a warm egg was in that spot. Is that little feather gathering just her nest making? Will they lay with me hanging out in the coop?

Later this summer my Light Brahmas and Easter Eggers should start laying, about 30 layers in all, so I have plenty of time to hear Egg Song, but I am impatient, so I wait.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes
    Quote:Probably. I suppose they might all be different but I have not found that mine are shy about the process at all. If I happen to be in the coop and they happen to be in the nest box, when the time comes to lay they egg, they stand up, push it out, jump down from the nest and wander over to the feeder.

3. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks for response, I want to hear the egg song so bad. I told my husband 3 weeks ago that chicken was just hanging out being a chicken and then to see that instinctual gathering of feathers and making her nest is so cool, she was meticulous in her feather placement. I love having chickens, I wish I weren't so impatient, want to see it all, but in time I will. Thanks again!

4. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I have nothing important to add...just CONGRATS on the eggs! I am IMPATIENTLY waiting for mine to start laying.

5. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    On way to getting ready for work this morning, went out to refresh water due to heat, turn on fans, etc. My little red feather re-arranger was in her spot. So, I really wanted to hear her lay the egg. I stuck around, for about 10 minutes watching. She turned this way and that in her spot, stood up slightly and dropped her little egg! I was thrilled, but then she stood there for about 1 minute, silent as can be, turned to look at egg and walked away, total silence. Is that normal? I am sorry to obsess over this, I want to understand so I will have a guage of what is normal for them as this is my first chicken that has been laying. I have heard so much about egg song, maybe silence is normal when they first start? Thanks in advance, I promise not to obsess once I am used to this.

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I don't think they all necessarily do egg song right from the start. I have a brown leghorn that has been laying for a while, and we think she just did her first egg song yesterday. Was very throaty and scratchy. Almost pitiful, LOL! She'll do it. Just one more thing about hens that requires patience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by