Additional supplies needed after purchase of 1588 w auto turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilverPhoenix, Jan 5, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Apologies for asking kind of obvious questions... I'm new to the world of incubating and wasn't sure where to find the answer. I'm just about to order my 1588 Genesis with Auto Turner ([​IMG]), and before I place my order I want to ask if there's anything else I should be ordering to get me started. I have eggs ready to go and already growing (under my broody, but she's already going to have chicks a week or two before these eggs hatch), so I want to be certain I'm not going to mess up.

Does the thermometer that comes with the incubator measure humidity, or do I need to purchase a hydrometer separately in order to measure and manage the humidity? Also, I know this is auto preset for hatching chicken eggs--how long should I leave it running to stabilize the temperature and all before putting my eggs in there? I'm sure the manual will go over that, but I'd like to know ahead of time so I can plan ahead. Is there anything else I'm going to need that's essential? I have a flashlight for candling and have been candling my broody's eggs, so that's covered. I just want to get my eggies in there and doing well ASAP as they're already growing and I want mama to focus on her two that are getting close to hatching.

Anyway, any help is appreciated! I want to place my order soon so my 'bator can be shipped in the morning. [​IMG]

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    additional thermometer and a hydrometer are the 2 things I can think of. You want to have multiple ways to check everything.

ETA: Right now I have 4 thermometers in my incubator, one says 99.5, the next 99.7, the next 98.3, the next 102.3. Now I happen to know that it is right around 99.5 because that's my better thermometer and I'm measuring it in a water wiggler. The one reading 102.3 also has the most accurate hygrometer attached (just calibrated it).

So, lots of ways to check yourself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you for the advice! That definitely helps and gives me something to shop for while I wait for my incubator to arrive. [​IMG]

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Minimum time for incubator to stablize is 24 hours. I prefer longer, mine has been running a week at constant temp & humidity, I will probably set the eggs tomorrow.......

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Yes, be sure the bator is running for at least 24 hrs. When you do put the eggs in the temps will drop for a few hours. Don't panic and reset the temps! Wait at least 3 or 4 hrs and then make gradual adjustments for the next few hours. Good Luck!

6. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    The 1588 are really good incubator it does come with a temperature guide....There isnt any thing to do put Put water in the middle and eggs and turn on. It is that easy. But remember it will take all day for the temp to come up to 99.5.Because of the eggs ,...But if they are coming from your broody. Then it should be no waiting...Just warm up first.And go for it. Good luck with your hatch.[​IMG]

7. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you for the tips! I'm thinking I'll run it for forty-eight hours before sticking the eggs in there, just to make sure it's stable so I don't kill the embryos. Seeing as they're already about a week into developing, it would be a shame to lose them!

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a good, affordable combination thermometer/hydrometer? Preferably a digital one?

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Thanks for posting this thread! Today I picked up by 1588 (or maybe its 1583, too lazy to get up and check).

I don't have anything but the machine itself, no auto turner or anything.

Will I be okay without the hydrometer? Or whatever its called. The doohickey that measures humidity.

This is also my first hatch and I am freaking nervous, if I don't have any chicks when its all done I am going to be disappointed. [​IMG]

I am also giving mine 24 hours to set, when precisely are you starting? it would be cool to start at the same time as someone else. :O

What eggs are you hatching? I have an Americauna (EE) rooster, two EE hens, two RIRs, one buff brahma and 5 columbian rocks. I have about 8 EE eggs (lovely blue colour) and the rest I have no idea, they will be a glorious, mutty mix.

9. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awesome, I'm glad I'm starting around the same time as someone else! Mine hasn't come yet so I'll probably be starting in about a week, but we'll see--it might come faster than that! I just want to let it run for forty-eight hours before I put eggs in it. If you want to start sooner, though, my eggs are already on day six or seven or possibly later than that because they're under my broody, so that way our hatches would be closer if you start soon.

I think the hydrometer is fairly important, as humidity seems to be the main issue people have with hatching, but people who have hatched before already will have more information. [​IMG]

I wouldn't be too nervous! Just do your best and hopefully your eggs will make it. I've heard people have had all kinds of issues and still had eggs hatch, so you'll probably be all right. And of course BYC is here if you have questions! You can always PM me and we can share our trials and tribulations (or we can start a thread if you'd like).

Sounds like a fun variety of eggs to hatch! EEs are great birds. I don't have any right now, but I had them in the past and I love them! The number of colors they come in is always so fun, and I LOVE mutt chickens! I've just got serama eggs from my own serama trio. I'd put in other eggs, but the rest of my flock is currently without a rooster after my ten or eleven year old rooster passed away. Well, I have a rooster for them, but seeing as he's only three weeks old right now there's no way there's any fertility at the moment. [​IMG]

I wish you luck, and hopefully we can help each other through our first hatches! I've had tons of broody hatches (though not for a while), but never anything out of an incubator.

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    That is so exciting, I have a hatching buddy!!!

This is my absolute first time hatching anything so it's a bit nerve wracking, I just dread not having anything hatch and feeling terrible about it but you can't worry about it, theres no use! I've had eggs out approaching 7 days now and they need to go in sooooon. I'm going to try this batch without anything extra and just do my darndest.

I Love my EE's, I really hope I get some variety because my hens look identical to each other, besides one being a fatty. I love seramas, do you have any pics of the parents? I'll try to include a post with photos of my EE team. I'm super curious as to what the mutts will look like, you have noooo idea! Especially the EE/Columbian Rock mix. I really hope I get at least a few chicks. Fingers crossed. [​IMG]

That's sad about your rooster, that is pretty old for a chicken though!

Please pm me when you get your incubator up and running, wishing you fast shipping speeds lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by