additives to the babies water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jo Anne, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I picked up 6 chicks from TSC today and asked how old they were the larger ones were born about 11-12 days ago
    i am a newbie, should i be adding something to their water, i also bought starter feed.

2. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    You don't need to add anything to their water. However, I have been giving mine about a teaspoon per quart of apple cider vinegar in their water. They seem to enjoy it and I've read it helps to boost their little immune systems.

3. Chook Chick

Chook Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    Yes, definitely do the apple cider vinegar....the unfiltered, unprocessed kind. I use 1/4 tsp per quart as it's very strong. Do this every time you give them fresh water and they won't get the new chick condition called "pasty butt"....it's very common and a killer of chicks.
    You can also give them some yogurt mixed in with their food too for the same reason and they think it's a treat!

4. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Hm, I always see different opinions about how much ACV to use in the water! Mine have been drinking their water just fine with 1 tsp per quart, so is there any specific reason to give them less or does it only matter if they aren't drinking it? I may start giving them a little less anyway but I'm just curious! :)

5. Chook Chick

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    The measurement I use is from a recipe I found while doing my research.
    Honestly, I don't think it matters as long as they drink it! I've never come across adverse affects of using more than 1/4 tsp....
    The important thing is they drink it!! ;)

6. tammylynn4647

tammylynn4647 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Also, I am waiting on my raw unfiltered ACV to come in. I ordered it after I saw that two of the chicks had pasty butt. I ended up using the regular ACV that you can find at the grocery store in their water thinking that it wont hurt to try...a week later I am still waiting for my order but have had no pasty butt since then. So use what you have on hand it really works!

7. Chook Chick

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    You can give them a yogurt treat too once or twice a week.....great the acv has worked. I actually found some unfiltered, unprocessed acv at Walmart made by Heinz!

Glad there's no more pasty butt!! [​IMG]

8. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Racv can be found at any health foods store,I use Braggs brand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by