Adequate venting?

jbrianchamberli

Songster
5 Years
May 13, 2014
So I built my first coop. Think it turned out okay. Shared some pictures on here and got good compliments. Been wondering if my venting is good, bad, perfect etc.

This is it about 98% complete. Still needs roof ridge complete and some trim around the window which opens and had hardware cloth securing it.

If you look at the side angle, you'll see a large section on the shape of a triangle that's covered in hardware cloth. This is repeated on the other side in the enclosed run.

Is this the right amount of venting? Will that work in the winter?

Attachments

• IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    662.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 13
How many chickens? What's your climate? I recommend sticking your head into the coop during the warmest part of the day to see what it feels like. Do it again when it's windy to determine if your ventilation is adequate.

It's cute! I think that the side opening into the covered run could be almost totally open, or at least have a large door that's never closed. That window also could be larger, although it's probably too late to conveniently change. How dark is it in there? Good airflow is essential! Mary

Hopefully that window can be left open even during rain.
How do you clean out the coop?
Pics of other sides of coop and the inside too?
Would also like to see the coop wall that faces the run...and know your climate/location.

Back
Top Bottom