adhesives safe for chickens>?

cms2314

Hatching
Dec 3, 2016
the wife wants to change the coop/hen house tractor.
are there safe adhesives for chickens? if so what are they? lol
silicone adhesive work best??
i wanted to use the existing wood and some pallets to change it up....hence the reason for the adhesives question.
thank you!

What would the adhesive be used for? I don't see the need for it. Screws are awesome as you can easily take your construcition apart for change.

it is screwed now. she wants to change to be taller...
it is 4ft tall 8 ft long 5 ft wide A frame tractor/hen house
it would be used to fill/connect the angle cuts that im adding UPwards to

What's wrong with Elmer's wood glue? Sounds like it would be perfect for what you intend. I use wood glue when I build anything for my chickens such as feeder frames. It hardens just like wood and it's not tempting for the chickens to peck at since it becomes an integral part of the wood itself. Its mighty strong, too, stronger than silicone would be.

I you intend to extend posts, I would insert pins in one post, drill a hole in the post you're joining, then glue. You can do this by using wood screws and cutting off the head to form a pin out of it. Easy.

Making your tractor taller so you can move around in it without straining you back will make having chickens 100% more enjoyable.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Elmer's wood glue? Sounds like it would be perfect for what you intend. I use wood glue when I build anything for my chickens such as feeder frames. It hardens just like wood and it's not tempting for the chickens to peck at since it becomes an integral part of the wood itself. Its mighty strong, too, stronger than silicone would be.

I you intend to extend posts, I would insert pins in one post, drill a hole in the post you're joining, then glue. You can do this by using wood screws and cutting off the head to form a pin out of it. Easy.

Making your tractor taller so you can move around in it without straining you back will make having chickens 100% more enjoyable.
For something structural and exposed to the weather glue will not hold up long term.
Most construction adhesives are used in conjunction with screws or nails.

It's easier and stronger to use screws, then you can change it down the road if when needed.

i have it screwed now
i just thought the construction adhesive/sillicone adhesive would add strength to the add-on portion.
my neighbor mentioned to me that they might not be good/safe for chickens....
thats why i asked here. lol

i have it screwed now
i just thought the construction adhesive/sillicone adhesive would add strength to the add-on portion.
my neighbor mentioned to me that they might not be good/safe for chickens....
thats why i asked here. lol
It would add strength...and probably non toxic once fully cured, if it's warm enough to cure.
But I'm just not a fan of using adhesives on something that I may want to change down the road.
Anything chicken here gets screws.

yeah--its been awfully cold here in colorado. i agree screws would make change over easy. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom