Adjusting things to foil pesky wild birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Spikes Chooks, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Wondering what is the "least worst" to do..... The coop is in a predator and bird-proof run. I let the 4 chickens out to free range for 3-4 hours in the afternoon and, until recently, propped the door to the run open. Initially I did this becasue I thought they might dash there if startled - but they usually dash to the closest shrubbery, under tables etc. They do, however, return ocassionally to eat and drink. I keep a clean water source for them in the garden also.

Now crested pigeons have found the run when the door is open and saunter in for a feed. Should I (1) shut the door, maybe have a little feed outside with the water, though there's plenty of bugs and greens for them. They aren't laying yet but looking close and are 22 weeks old. Does this risk them laying eggs in hidden places in the garden? Or (2) leave the run door open so they can get to nesting boxes, but remove the two feeders. They're fairly light so I guess I could place them in the coop so they're quick to move. Assuming pigeons wouldn't walk up the ramp to eat in a dark, enclosed place. The downside here is the pigeons can eat the scraps on the floor (no big deal as the girls aren't too messy) but also spread mites and other problems.

I'm hoping for an egg any day now so really don't want to do anything to prevent them learning the right place to lay. Your thoughts will be appreciated!

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would put the feeder and water in the coop. Unless you want an Easter egg hunt everyday ;)

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Just thought of this... Possibly a wild bird feeder nearby??

4. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for your thoughts - actually we have two wild bird feeders, in the other part of the garden. So I guess the pigeons are just greedy! I'll try putting the feed and water away in the coop and hope they don't progress enough to find them. Appreciate your reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by