1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adjustment to a New Home, or Broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Aug 15, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I started raising chickens a couple of months ago. Yesterday, I bought two Partridge Silkie hens, about 1 and 2 years old. When I got home, I had to finish cleaning up the coop, so I put them in a wire kennel in the yard. At some point, the 1yo started singing the Egg Song, and I got my first egg a little while later. After collecting the egg, the 2yo started singing. She continued off-and-on the rest of the evening. As of this evening, she still hasn't layed an egg. Last night, after cleaning the coop, I put them into the roost. They were still in it at about 10am this morning. I picked them up, and put them at the roost's doorway; they didn't go down the ramp, so I put one about halfway down the ramp. 20-30 minutes later, one was still sitting on the ramp, and the other was still by the doorway. I put them down in the run, under the roost. Aside from some initial adjustments, they went into a corner and stayed there the rest of the day. From inside the den, I saw them occasionally around the middle of that run. Idk whether they ate or drank, but I did put out food and water. This evening, they still wanted to stay in the corner; I used a small stick to guide them close enough to be able to grab one. I held them each for a little bit, to get them used to being held. I noticed that when I say the 1yo down, she almost bumped her beak on the ground; it was as if she was immediately sitting down. I put them each on the ramp, but they had to be nudged into the roost. As of this post, the 1yo is sitting on the roost pan, and the 2yo is on the roost.

1. Is this behavior just adjustment to a new home, or broodiness? If broodiness, I need to get started on breaking it.

2. Regarding the 2yo, should I be concerned that she hasn't layed yet? I forgot to ask what her usual time was between singing and laying.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If a hen sings I doubt that she is broody.

The stress of moving sometimes knocks a hen back weeks before she lays again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Ok...I was also thinking the strange behavior might just be stress from moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by