administering antibiotic??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monicaei1, Sep 24, 2010.

1. monicaei1

monicaei1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Hi all,

After my hen was attacked by a dog, my vet gave me an antibiotic paste in a syringe, chloramphenicol, to give over her food. Problem is, she is barely eating. Pecked at the yogurt in a spoon twice, and maybe a couple pecks of her mashed up food. I need to get 2cc's of this stuff to her daily. I am concerned if i attempt to force feed her from the syringe I could make this situation worse by causing her to aspirate. Is there a way to do this that someone could explain to me?

Thanks for all of your help!
    Monica

2. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    you could try using a baby medicine dropper and putting it on the side of her beak. Usually this will cause them to open their mouth and take it in.

Did you try egg?

3. monicaei1

monicaei1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    No. Honestly, and this is totally a personally aversion I understand completely unfounded in reality, it wierds me out feeding an egg to my chickens. Did try two different types of baby food though. :)

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:boiled egg is extremly healthy for a chicken or almost any bird. Loaded with extra protein and vitamins that they need to heal or help with stressfull times. It is usually a favorite among chickens and can help when you are trying to get a bird to eat.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Cottage cheese, cooked and mostly cooled oatmeal, applesauce, work too. Mix with a little feed to make it more palatable (sp) You could also ask your vet for the same dose in a tablet form, then break it up and mix it with a bit of cottage cheese and feed; that's how I give ours pills. I agree, I think force feeding with a dropper is stressful.
    She should like scrambled eggs and they are good for them when they are sick or injured.

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I don't know if your vet told you this, but it is important that they eat. The few times we've taken ours to a vet, he gave us this green supplement paste to administer in a syringe. They hated being force fed that stuff, and so did we, but it did seem to help and also improved their appetite. YOu may have to play around to find things she will eat, but it is important; consider how much they eat when they are healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by