Administering oral meds to chick with sore foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by montanamountainchick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. montanamountainchick

montanamountainchick New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Last week I posted a problem with one of my Rhode Island Reds' foot - a large bump on top of toe with scab. This is an update with a question - in need of advice.
    The Vet did not believe that it was bumblefoot and is treating it with antibiotics for a bone infection. The medicine is definitely working.

She was on Baytril, but that cost $37 for one wks supply!
    She needs 2 more weeks so vet changed the med to a cheaper one ($15 for 2 wks) but I have to give 3 times as much - 3.5 ml 2x a day!!!

The 1ml of Baytril 2 times a day was hard enough. This girl is really fiesty and I don't know how to make it easier on us both.
    I currently wrap her in a towel and try to open the beak.
    Any suggestions helpful.

Also, once she's better I won't eat her eggs for 30 days after the antibiotics so I'll have to still keep her separate. What's peoples experience on reintroducing her to the other girls. She has 19 sisters and they all got along pretty well. Don't want that to change.

We are chillin in Montana today!

Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Can you put it on a piece of bread and let her eat it?

Imp

3. montanamountainchick

Jun 8, 2010
    I could try it if it's worked for you...has it? I put some in her water to see if she would drink it, but that didn't do much!
    [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I have never done it, but have read that it works for people. They use a small piece of bread, put the liquid medicine on it and usually chickens will gobble down bread.

Good luck

Imp

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've put medicine on little pieces of porous bread. I've also had good luck cutting open capsule type meds and mixing in with a dab of yogurt and cheese. Basically, as long as you can squirt it or mix it with little bits of anything tasty, it will most likely work.

6. montanamountainchick

Jun 8, 2010
    I put it on a small peice and she is pecking away at it. Will see if she eats enough of it. Thanks again.
    Any other good ideas are appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by