Administering Vitamins

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Hi. I have a Buff Silkie with a god awful case of wry neck. She is at an almost 180 degree turn and walks backwards a lot and into walls. I have her in the 'infirmary' with another Red Silkie who was pretty much split along her back (she is doing MUCH better though)

I am doing the Poly-Vi-Sol + Vitamin E drops in an effort to help her before caving and spending 25x as much as she is worth for the vet...

But, I am afraid when I hold her that I will either break her neck or her wing..
    ..I hold her whole body against me in one hand, keeping her wings down, and I sort of grab the neck and use my nail to keep her beak open.

Is there a better way to do this? I am so afraid I am going to snap her neck. :-( I would die if I lost her, especially if I did it.

Also - any other tips on wry neck?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is she eating? Is there any way you could put this stuff on a piece of bread for her that she will eat? Or even in her water? I am so sorry you have a wry neck girl. [​IMG]

3. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have been tube feeding my silkie roo who has brain damage. If I had to do it alone I would take a towel and wrap him in it nice and tight. Then I would put him agent my body, under my arm (while sitting on the floor). Then I tilt the head up and lightly grab the corners of his mouth and he would open up. Or if they are real trouble grab the top of the beak in the corners as well. You can brace their head with the palm of your hand. Good luck.

4. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    How do I know if there is brain damage? What happened to your Silkie Roo? [​IMG]

5. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    My roo was shipped. He was most likely banged around or they put him in an unpressurized cargo plane. Or both I suppose. Its hard to tell what happened on the trip. My boy walks backwards, wont eat or drink nor respond to you waving your hands infront of his eyes. He also shakes his head alot. you can read more on my post "my shipped roo...[​IMG]"
    Theres alot of good info on it everyone has been very helpful. Feel free to post questions on it alot of the people that are helping me are following the post.
    Usually wry neck is caused by head injury or vitamin deficiency. I would think this time of year would be injury since theres alot of verity in food for chickens right now ie grass bugs ect. But mine was due to shipping.

This is common in silkies with vaulted skulls heres a link you can read. Its very helpful.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. CatsCrazyCoop

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Mine was due to injury. Does that make treatment any different? She got the heck pecked out of her. Just one spot they kept going to town on. [​IMG]

Your poor Roo. Sophie (my silkie with wry neck) is walking backwards also. She just started that about a week ago. I have been battling her neck about 6 weeks I think. [​IMG] She eats and drinks just fine though.

*sigh* SO so So sad.

7. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    how is your roo doing?

8. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Treatment is not different. Most people like to stay with vitamin their tho because its cheaper. Also a good vet is hard to find.

9. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:My roo is not doing well. He relapsed badly over the weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by