Admiral, still look like a F&W Runner?*Updated!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, May 5, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    This is the guy I call Admiral, he is in charge of the other ducklings and very spunky. He also seems to think it's necessary to pick fights with my huge Chinese White gosling, but that's a different issue entirely. [​IMG]

Anyway I snapped this photo of him last night and I thought I would post it here. His bill is a bit darker than it was over a week ago when I got him, but nothing else has darkened. His facial markings are still the same. Does he resemble a Fawn & White Runner? He came from Cackle, too, and he resembles those babies in my opinion, but I'm just asking to see if I'm having wishful thinking or if he does look like this particular breed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Are any of there other birds crested? If not then he has to be a F&W runner. But he doesn't look like one. So I don't really know. Did you figure out what that other duckling is?

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a crested pekin duck.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Looks like a crested runner. Look at the facial markings.

5. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    I thought Crested Pekin initially, too, but his bill became really dark and he has distinct facial markings. They do have several varieties of crested duck they say, but they also have F&W Runners advertised. Whatever he is is great, but I will be tickled if he is a runner. [​IMG]

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If he was a pekin wouldn't he be yellow as a baby?

7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I think runner as well. I have a baby runner (non-crested) about that size I will snap a pic for comparison. What I think makes him look runner-ish is his face - the eyes are located close to the top of his head and his bill comes straight from his face (there's no dip distinguishing between where his face ends and bill begins).

ETA: As promised, here's a pic of the little runner baby I have right now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for the responses and the picture! Your runner is adorable. [​IMG]

My Admiral seems to be a bit fatter in the body than yours, but he does stand up like that when he gets hyper-active. I see what you mean about his face shape, I was noticing just the other day that his face seems a bit different from the other ducks, but I couldn't discern what exactly it was that looked funny.

The other thing I'm having a hard time with is the color of his bill and feet. In all the baby duck pictures I have seen(been looking at the a LOT trying to identify my other mystery duck!!), the only duck with a predominantly light base color body but with the dark bill and feet is the Fawn & White Runner. Is there another breed that has the dark bill/light body that he may be?

I should probably just co nvince myself to sit back and watch to see what he grows into being...but I'm having too much fun trying to figure out these mysterys! hehe

9. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I can't say for sure what he is but ...

My fawn & white runner, as a baby, didn't have such dark markings on his face and bill. He has developed some mottling on the bill now, and of course he has facial markings, but unless the pic makes yours look dark, mine were just never that dark as a baby.

He also developed a very distinct long neck stance, not quite as pronounced as the other little runner here, but he could definitely stretch the neck out, and his eyes were set high too.

I think mine is very VERY far from a well-bred runner though, so it may not mean anything. They do have facial markings when they get older. Mine just didn't develop them so young. They were around 6 weeks maybe when the markings started to show on the face, and fully adult before the bill changed color at all.

LOL, Admiral, I like the name. It would be appropriate for my little guy ... he thinks he's in charge of everyone in the yard (he's going to get a rude awakening when the geese get a bit bigger!). But his name is "Kupo" ... because of the little fluffy crest on his head. If you've ever seen a Final Fantasy game, the moogles have little pom-poms on their heads and call everyone "Kupo." But I like the name Admiral. Very fitting. [​IMG]

trish

10. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The more I look at it the more I think maybe crested blue swedish....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by