Adolescent Pullet With Pasty Bottom: This Could Mean Saying GoodBye!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Chicklet was born with pasty bottom and we cleaned her every day so that she'd be able to go. When she wa slittle, it wasnt really bad, so a cleaning a day kept her all clean. WHen she grew up and grew some feathers, it became ALOT harder tp maintain. Today, she still has terrible poo problems even though we clean her quite often. It just gets caked up so bad! She can still go as often as she wants... No problems there. It just gets caked onto her hind feathers so it takes a while to drop to the ground, and in that time, it dries onto her feathers and becomes a gooey, disgusting mess. We have done multiple cleanings and did everything we could. We put lotion on her and everything. Her poor little bum is so sore. Her tail feathers (she has barely any) hang down instead of going up like a normal chook, though... Well, after we started deciding which of the new show cochins were males or females, my pap sat me down and we started to talk about what we'd do with Chick. She is my favorite little thing and it would break my heart to see her go. He said that we cant keep her with the Cochins because she is too messy and we can't transfer her over to the adult coop because Jasper will try to kill her. I don't know what to do now... PLEASE HELP CHICKLET!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Chicken, 3 months, not sure on weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acts perfectly normal
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since birth
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Nope
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nope
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I'm not sure what causes this...
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She eats and drinks like a normal chicken
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Its quite runny and drips from her feathers.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have washed her uncountable times with soft soap, warm water and a wet paper towl. I have put lotion on her, too to help.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I can'tbring her to a vet.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I do have a pic of her I will post.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She lives in a large coop with only 4 other adult birds and herself. We use fresh straw as bedding.

This may mean life or death for poor Chicklet.

So here are my questions:
    1) What is the cause of Past Butt?
    2) What is the best treatment?
    3) How do I treat?
    4) Can I save her?
    5) Will she cause issues for the Cochins if she does happen to live with them?
    6) WHat are my options?

Oh and I'm also extrememly worried about infection and maggots etc! I can't sell her because of her condition and I'd never consider that anyway.

Someone please help Chicklet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She is very sweet, too.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    i would like to know too. i have one that was hatched with no tail bone, and no long tail feathers either. so she look like a aracana (sorry spelling). she has been poopy on her rear ever since. i would like to know how to help her. she is about 2 years old.

3. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    She is adorable, and I can see why you want to keep her, and of course want her healthy... A picture of her bum and poo would be more useful, though, for people to help, even though you did a great job describing the condition.

I'm just learning and researching like mad, and the only thing I can offer is an article I just found:

http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/PDF/pdf2008/19Nov/Brisibe et al.pdf

You can order dried leaves, but make sure it is artemesia annua and no other variety!! Also called wormwood, sweet wormwood, sweet Annie.

Good luck!

4. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck finding help for your hennie! Maybe we could both find some help for ours! I've tried everything I could think of and every time we clean her to almost perfection, it gets terrible all over again, like we did nothing.

Thanks for the article... But...
    CHICKLET HAS COCCI??????
    IS that what pasty bottom is?? Boy I hope not...
    Now I'm scared for her... [​IMG]

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    It was found to improve the birds overall health when used in the diet regularly, not just against parasites....

6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ok... Thats good...

Well, my pap talked to a buddy of his that raises chickens who said that pasty is caused by their food being to rich for their digestive system. He said the way to fix her is to put her in a separate little coop outside in the grass where she can be constantly eating bugs, grass, and othor natural things. We are also purchasing special medicated feed to give to her in her "probation". We will be fixing up the old rabbit cage (Its like a small dog kennel cage) with chicken wire around the entire thing and a roof on top. She will have a nest box and a roost, too to keep her dry and off the ground. She will still get to have a buddy every once in a while. We will probably put Lilly in with her for part of it so she can't get lonely. Lets pray that this works!

And on a scarier note... Earlier my pap asked my grandma if we should get rid of Chicklet and we all know what'd happen to her... She replied with "NO! NOT MY CHICKIT!!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by