Adolescent rooster developing black, scablike spots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lenin, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Lenin

Lenin New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi there. About six months ago I found a very small rooster running around my front yard, after great effort to catch him I now raise him as well as two hens I bought to keep him company. I allow him and the hens to free range and eat the bugs and worms in my yard and garden, as well as feeding them a 50/50 mix of chicken feed and cracked corn to keep them fat this winter. About 2 weeks ago my rooster had a small black bump on his comb, which at first I thought might have been a scab from falling off of a high place he had been, but it spread to a second nearby spot and both have become progressively and slowly larger. After searching online I think it may be fowl pox, but this is my first time raising chickens ever. I have spent quite a lot of time and money making sure my chickens are healthy and happy, since I don't believe you ought raise an animal without taking good care of it, however this time i am at a loss. I can't seem to determine effectively if this is fowl pox, nor do I know what an effective treatment might be. Any tips or help is appreciated, as my little rooster is definitely my favorite pet.

Pictures included below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am pretty sure mine has fowl pox. At first it looked like a black scab on the top of her comb but today there are roundish yellow white looking circles on her wattles that are turning black. Kinda looks like yours. I posted pics. If it is there isn't much you can do but let it run its course...kinda like people having chicken pox! I was told I could put neosporin on it just don't use the pain killing kind. Also watch to make sure it isn't wet pox which seems to be rather juicy with sores and such in their mouths and throats.
    Good luck to you.
    sharon

3. lotsachicks

lotsachicks Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    S. Texas
    My flock of 16 has just finished a coarse of fowl pox. I didn't do anything to treat the lesions other than keep a careful watch for any signs of secondary infections. I know it looks gross, I was really freaked out too, but today, about 3 weeks since the first lesions were noted, it is all cleared up with no sign fowl pox was ever there. Also, they are now immune for life. Good luck with your birds, I truely understand what it is to fall in love with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by