Adolescent turkey broken leg!!

Knockknock

Hatching
Apr 10, 2016
We have a pair of adolescent sweetgrass turkeys. We are using dog kennel panels as the bird enclosure. The turkeys like to roost on top of the panels. Saturday is was raining and one of the turkeys slipped and his leg went between two upright posts. He broke his leg and his flopping around broke the skin.

I cleaned up the area and placed EMT gel on the wound to stop the bleeding. I used two small pieces of popsicle sticks to splint the leg and then I wrapped it with vet wrap. Yesterday he seemed to be doing fine. I have him in a large crate with food and water very close.

Today I checked his leg and his foot was warm, swollen and when I touched it a clear liquid with an orange tint came out of a crack between his toe. I cleaned him up again and fresh bandages and vet wrap, no splint.

He seems to be eating and drinking, he is,also standing on his good leg and toe touching with his injured leg. Is there anything else I can do?

Did the broken bone piece through the skin? Compound fractures through the skin can get infected and spread bacteria throughout the body. Broken bones are best treated by a vet, but when splinted properly can take more than 3-4 weeks to heal in chickens, but I don't know that much about turkeys. I would post on the turkey forum for additional advice.

The abrasions were all on the surface, the bone didn't come through the skin. I also posted on the turkey forum. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom