Adopt a Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Gold Coaster, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Gold Coaster

Gold Coaster Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone,

One of my local animal shelters has a young chicken for adoption but I was hoping someone could help me identify a few factors about it from the photo.

Is this a young pullet or a roo?
    How old is s/he?
    What breed might s/he be? (They classify her as 'grey' in colouring).

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am considering adopting her and purchasing another pullet around the same age so that they can keep each other company. I have no idea why she was surrendered to the local animal shelter.

Cheers,
    Gold Coaster

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im no good at this but i will give it a shot, the color is blue, they probably got rid of it because its hard to rehome roosters and the type i have no idea. looks like it could use some fat on it and about 5-6 months old. with all that being said if i had the offer i would take it because it seems like it will be a nice looking bird

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is that barring on it or shadows?

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm... I'm guessing it is a modern game type breed. I am not really familiar with these breeds so it is hard for me to guess on age, but it looks like she is long and lean like that breed. I don't see any signs of pointy hackle feathers around the neck that a cockerel would develop. If she is a she then I would just guess that she is a ways off from starting laying because her comb is not really red.

It might help to post the photo in this section, with a different thread title: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    The BYC members who go tho that section may be better at answering you questions.

I think that it is great that you are thinking of adopting from a shelter.

5. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    Scratch'n'peck, you may know better, but to me she looks sorta like an Asil or a O Shamo. Is that possible?

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I agree. Probably less than 6 months old. I'd still be iffy about calling it a cockerel, that can change in the next few weeks.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You are probably right. They are game breeds that have that same really upright stance like the modern game and may be more common in Australia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by