Adopt a Poultry-Guardian Dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by little_grey_bantam, Jan 7, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    I did some rescue for awhile, but stopped due too school. I find that I miss it now!

Anyways, I love rescue work and was wondering if anyone would be interested in adopting poultry-guardian dogs?
    I will be rescuing dogs from shelters (preferably high-kill) and training them to be poultry-guardian dogs both for indoor (family) and outdoor). So they will be adults! I have done this for years and want to do some good in this world!

These will be just regular mutts, some purebreds. Though some will be better as just poultry-guardians (like great pyrenees who soometimes spend 99% of their time with livestock oppose to humans) who can be left outside the majority of the time; others will be something with short fur (think pit or lab) that must be a part of the family and be both indoor/outdoor dogs! I once took in three dachshunds who were feral, but they lived in the chicken coop and for years, every chicken lived (I think one a hawk flew off with, but how do you stop that? lol)

The only fee I would ask for would be $200-$300 (I once spent $300 to spay and get a dog shots + livestock training and gave it away free too a home) which would go into alterations/shots/maybe some food.

I suppose if I can find people wanting dogs like these, I can do something I LOVE doing just for the enjoyment of it, without going too poor. Since there is such a large network of people, I think we could "train" this dog too anyone in the country for only gas money or super duper cheap!

All I ask for is the small fee to help cover costs (I make NO money), to ensure the dog has a good home, be a part of the family (even if it spends most of its time with livestock), receive vet care and continuous basic training to keep in check, etc. If you ever have to give it up, I will always take it back. Most of all, I'd like too ask for updates, at least once a year [​IMG]

I don't know, if you're interested, leave a mark and I'll start thinking about rescue again! Yay!

(This started up again just this week, when I saw a great dane mix at the shelter)

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I think that if they were pre-trained to watch over livestock, this would be a big hit. As long as the adopter knows the basic commands and lets the dog know what they need to do without expecting the dog to just 'do it', it should work. Also, what state are you in?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like a great idea, if you need some transport help in south flrorida I am at your servise.

Ish

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds like a wonderful idea.. I would adopt one in a heartbeat.... Let me know if you get this going.. BTW I would need an outdoor only dog..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by