Adopted a flock, got a Roo that's the Odd-Breed-Out...What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DawnB, Oct 7, 2012.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

So, we adopted/rescued an established flock. It's made up of mostly BR's, but I've got one roo that's red. Thought he may be a RIR based on pics I've seen on the interwebs...but really, I'm a newbie and have no clue...[​IMG]. When we asked the previous owner, he said he didn't think he was a RIR, but didn't really elaborate on if he knew what he was either...

So, I'm turning to the experts...What the heck is he?? He got a little plucked over (the birds were in WAY to small a space before). His neck feathers are starting to grow back in nicely...

He's one of 3 roo's that came with the flock...the other 2 are BR's and believe it or not, all 3 are very well behaved. This one, he likes to pose for pics!

In the sunlight, his tail feathers are green/black irridescent.

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. jules1329

jules1329 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    I don't know what he is, either, but he's pretty. It's so wonderful you're giving them a new home.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He looks mixed breed, but he might have some wheaten ameraucana blood because of his pea comb and coloring. If so, he would be classified as an easter egger (EE), and might carry the blue egg gene. Does he have gray or greenish legs?

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    He looks like a Golden laced Wyandotte mix to me. That would explain the Rose-ish comb and the coloring. His build looks Cornish to me though. He's a mystery whatever he is.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The color and comb indicate he's a mixed breed.

The pic looks like he's got some scaly mites on his legs, is this correct? If so, you'll need to treat the entire flock asap.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that face reminds me a lot of the games breeds such as aseels, shamo, ect....with that beard and lacing i would really guess along the line of golden laced wyandotte mixed with an ee

7. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the feedback. Wasn't even close to sure what to search for breeds. He's my alpha roo. Not the biggest of the 3, but he's the dominant one. Only one who crows too..is this odd or normal behavior when you have more than one roo?

@ Eggcessive: To me, his leg color looks along the lines of the others...kinda yellowish. I wouldn't exactly call them on the green side, but I don't think grey when I look at them.

@ Donrae: Not sure on the mites...just got them a little over a week ago. What's the treatment for this type of mite. I figured they'd need some pretty good TLC. Not really sure how much med care they got in their previous residence. Their conditions were something to be desired. Also, they're all still really skittish, so if I have to catch to treat, that might be a stretch. They were pretty traumatized in their transport over here. They've gotten a little better, but few will let me touch them.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that's normal for only one roo to crow if there are others.

to treat leg mites you will have to catch them. you can use vet Rx, petroleum jelly, cooking oil, ect as long as its safe for them to also eat. the thing you are mainly doing is suffocating the mites and treatment needs to be done everyday so if they are hard to catch you will need to do it at night.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is how I catch my birds. Go in and pluck them off the roost. Keep their heads covered and you're usually good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by