Adopted a Rooster. Bumblefoot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimberlychick, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Kimberlychick

Kimberlychick New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    So I rescued a RIR Rooster from a lady who kept him in a dog crate with 3 other boys who picked on him. The worst of it besides the small quarters is the elevated the crate so their droppings would fall to the ground. The crate had wide wire construction, about2 inches and these poor guys had to negotiate those wires all day!!!
    His toes are fairly curled from that, I'm sure, but I wanted your opinion on the bottoms of his feet.

The pads are firm, not soft and squishy like my girls.
    But it could just be callused.
    Does this look like bumblefoot?

He's such a sweetie. He was a nasty mess from not being able to dustbath. I gave him a shampoo and he looks much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Nice loking roo! Glad you have him now. It does look like pics from other folks who have worked with bumblefoot. Until someone who has more experience gets back to you, I'd soak his feet in epsom salts and see if the scabs loosen any. Are his feet hot? If it is bumblefoot, those scabs will need to come off and the infection to come out, usually a hard plug... Hope he is feeling even better soon!

3. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    Are they scabs? Not that I am an expert at bumble foot in chickens, but I have seen it in raptors and this does not look like bumble foot to me. Google "avian bumble foot" and you will find a lot of pictures.

4. Kimberlychick

Kimberlychick New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    They were there before and after his bath 3 days ago. I haven't been able to get a good look since because he's been getting used to me and I've been staying away from those claws!
    He's grown to trust me more. Now I can pick him up with ease. I'll soak his feet and get a better look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by