Adopted a silkie chicken who was bald! Need advice on how to help her grow her feathers back faster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mizsmith, Jan 29, 2016.

1. mizsmith

mizsmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    Hello,

This past summer I adopted/rescued a little silkie hen who was always getting picked on. She was basically plucked. She had no feathers on her back, part of her wings , chest and head! (picture attached is of her when we first got her) So I took her under my wing so she wouldn't get picked on any more by roosters.
    Now a 4-5 months have gone by and I still don't notice her feathers growing back. Almost looks a bit worse lately? Possibly molting? Her feathers that should be growing back look like longer quills now.. is that a good sign? Definitly feel the quills are growing as she was more bald before. Just seems still naked! Her skin seems a bit dry aswell and possibly flaking.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Protein, what is her normal feed?
    You haven't seen her picking them herself have you?

3. mizsmith

mizsmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    She is on a omega 3 hen layer feed and also gets a scratch with oyster shell. Gets eggs, veggies and fruit often aswell.
    I have definitely not seen her pluck her own feathers or seen her get picked on.

4. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I would try and get some more protein in her, extra eggs, "feather fixer" supplement or feed, mealworms, table scraps if not too salty. Feather fixer feed is 18% protein instead of the standard layer 16%, don't look at that as just 2% more protein, it is a 12.5% increase on protein a big jump. While scratch and veggie scraps are great for them it can take some thought to rebalance diet. For instance I put some dry mealworms in with the scratch to help bring protein balance up. I mix up a coffee can with scratch, some mealworms, grit and a little oyster shell and toss a handful when I collect eggs. Girls always seem to look forward to seeing me even though I don't handle them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by