Adopted a Silkie, how long until she lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Apr 19, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    The lady said they just started laying and she is about 4 or 5 months old, I can't remember. She squats when I go to pick her up, but she's been here for 3 weeks and no eggs yet. When you rehome a chicken, does it take a month or two? I presume that she might not have started yet at all?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Silkies don't lay many eggs, moving a hen can put her off laying

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    indefinitely? or just for a while?

the lady had about 10 silkies running around and there were eggs all over the place (she wasn't collecting them). So I assume that this one had started at some point.

4. FireTigeris

for awhile. Not forever.

My silkie mixes didn't lay that early, mine were nearly a year old, but it may be the line I had.

Picture?

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'd be stunned if she is really only 4 months old and laying. That is early for any hen (most start between 5-5 1/2 months). I'm no silkie expert, having only acquired my first two a few weeks ago but I've been reading on the silkie thread and the consensus seems to be that while silkies have been known to start as early as 5 months and as late as a year, the average is 7-8 months to start laying.

And yes, any amount of stress will disrupt laying for a few weeks. A move from one coop to another on the same farm is sometimes enough to do it. A move from one residence to another is almost certain to.

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    She said she hatched them out around January. All I know is she said the group started laying recently.

That is interesting info though! I didn't know that about Silkies. I mostly got her for a pet, but I was just concerned a little to make sure that she wouldn't get getting eggbound or something. Just wanted to cover my bases before getting concerned. I know that wasn't explained well and makes me sound like I have no earthy idea what I'm talking about LOL. I can't seem to type what I'm trying to say :)

7. FireTigeris

Silkies are broody, a lot- they do not lay eggs when stressed, in moult, or broody.

Good Luck

8. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    she is just sweet and I love her and so do my kids. <3 that is what it is all about anyways <3 As long as she is healthy, I am happy!

10. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    OMGosh, she just laid an egg ROFL. see? just make a post on BYC and the egg comes. what a funny timing!

My kids just went to bring her outside and they were all, "look what pompette just did!!!!"
    and brought me the egg <3 <3 <3 sweet chickie girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by