adopted adult chickens lice and other probs....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyRoo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. SkyRoo

SkyRoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    hello
    we sure could use a helping hand with advise suggestions links ect....

we are new to chickens and we adopted some chickens a fella had. I thought they were fairly well cared for. decent cleanliness in the coop when we arrived to look at the chickens. Food and Water all clean and filled. only major problem I saw was that he had far too many roosters for enclosure setup. 8 Roosters and 10 hens (about that)

anyways we have had these chickens for three days now. I was holding one of them rubbing her neck feathers when I visually saw a crawling parasite. From what I study this is most likely a species of lice. it was creamish in coloring and fairly quickly burrowed back into hens feathers I was unable to locate it again to remove it and get a clearer viewing of this parasite.

all the chickens are eating and drinking and very active.
    what I know about these five chickens is this:
    the gentleman got three of them from McMurry hatchery last year in April
    other two hens are a cross breeding at his place
    breeds are as follows:
    4 hens and 1 Rooster

Rooster we got from this man is a D'Uccle Porcelain
    one D'Uccle Porcelain hen
    one Sultan hen
    and two other hens that are a cross of bantam and araucana cross or something of the like (easter eggers)

Rooster has damage on his wings and also his tops of his feet are not right...I thought this was from roosters fighting and such behavior...of course him comb has black injury spots from fighting.

after finding lice today I wonder if this is result of lice.
    I will try to post photos of his feet. *I know picture worth a thousand words*

also the little hen sultan lets out a small sneeze from time to time...*from the first day we brought her home 3 days ago not getting worse or better*

how we currently keep these chickens:
    our coop is fully insulated and we provide a heatlamp when outside temps fall below 20 deg (thus far maintain heat inside coop in the 50s when its low 20s at night.
    two windows that fully open to allow airflow when needed.
    the flooring of indoor coop is covered with plywood and top dressed with 4 inches of pine shavings.

outdoor run is mostly protected from the winds and covered. this flooring we laid bark chips down...but it is a bit dusty underneath the bark chips. of course the hens love to scratch the bark chips around and get a nice area for their dust baths during the day time.

When I called the gentleman to ask about why our Sally Sultan would sneeze off and on he said must be a bit of dust at our place bothering her.
    I dont see any discharge or any concerning behavior from Sally,....aside from a sneeze maybe every 15 min.?
    no one else in the group in sneezing.

back to known problem of lice...

I currently only have permethrin by prozap garden and poultry dust. From what I know Permethrin is the synthetic version of pyrethrin?

would this be a wise choice to use on these chickens or should we be searching for a different product?
    also can we still eat the hens eggs during treatment?

I wonder how to tell difference on SkyRoo our roosters feet if this is from him fighting with all those other roosters that man kept him with or if its a parasite issue/scaley leg parasite? or from the body lice?
    it almost appears a bit inflamed skin tissue and like the feathers have not grew properly like pinfeathers when a bird gets new feathers before they open up to feathers.
    he also has bald spots on the back side of wings also.
    I was told by this gentleman that his chickens do not have lice. But we never have chickens before this is new for us and this was a mature parasite I found on the hen today...from what I understand the average lice's life cycle is two weeks. he said the bald inflamed areas on the rooster are just from the other roosters fighting with him.

I have my doubts now. [​IMG]

thank you for your time

I will try to figure out how to post photos in here and get a picture of him up

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Sound like you got a boatload of EL TORO POO & a bunch of sickish birdies to show for it. Hope you haven't mixed these kids with your own already. . . . .[​IMG]

3. SkyRoo

Mar 6, 2008
    oh no...we dont have any other chickens...

this is our family first and only ones.
    these five all came from same gentleman all housed together

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, as far a lice, and mites, I like to use sevin dust. you can sprinkle some around their vents, and under their wings, plus put it on the roosts, and in their dusting area. This should take care of this. You can also treat them with ivomec to worm them, and it helps keep mites and such down too. On the sneezing one, check it out in the evening, and see if you hear a rattle when it breathes, or if it has any other symptoms. My website addresses a lot of health, and beginner issues, if you want to take a look. Good luck!

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I also agree with the 5% sevin dust. It really does a great job. It is best to repeat in 10 days after the initial application to kill anything that hatched from the eggs from the vermin on the birds.

bigzio

6. SkyRoo

Mar 6, 2008
    oh gosh thank you guys!
    okay Sevin dust
    I will call around see what feed store carries this one

I have another question
    Should I dust their entire body excluding head of course. because this critter was in her neck area not under wings or vent area? or does dusting those locations get best results for treatment?
    Okay I surly will make sure to follow up treatments to ensure catching the hatching cycles of em

thank you I will check and try listen to the little hen tonight and see if any noises are heard...if so do I need to pull her from the others. He had them all housed together and I still have all together.
    I surly dont want to cause undue stress on any of them.
    they are still nervous and still getting adjusted to living with us. Today is only their third day with us.

gosh thank you so much guys! [​IMG]

okay I try to post picture of his foot
    sorry not a clear photo...I can try tonight when they roost to get a better angle at his foot...there is not really fresh blood or anything like...looks like feather damages or something

[​IMG]
    hope I post this photo right
    [​IMG]

7. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Your leg looks like nothing too serious to me, I would just treat them for mites, and give them some time to settle in, and heal up. You can dust the whole chicken, but you don't need to. If you follow my previous instructions, you will be fine. BTW, you buy sevin dust where you buy plant supplies. It is actually for controlling bugs on your flowers and such. Good luck!

8. SkyRoo

Mar 6, 2008
    okay I dusted them tonight all went well....as said under wings and vent area.
    gosh thank you for all the help [​IMG]

sorry more questions...

when I add the garden sevin dust to their areas that they like to dust bath...mmmm about how much there? light sprinkle? is there concern of them pecking and ingesting the dust and getting ill from it?
    of course I will keep it far away from their food and water.

9. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Usually a thin coating in the nests and roosts, and slightly more in the dusting area. Sevin dust is pretty safe, so don't worry about it. If you are concerned about this, you can always use D earth the same way, I just like the sevin better. Good luck!

10. SkyRoo

Mar 6, 2008
    okay that sounds great! thank you

ops I forgot you said the nest boxes and roost area too...
    thank you for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by