Adopted an Orphan

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LookLita, Sep 20, 2012.

1. LookLita

LookLita New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Austin, TX
    A friend noticed that a stray chicken had been wandering the neighborhood for about a week, and then one morning the poor thing wandered into his yard where his dog found it. Needless to say he intervened, and I offered to adopt her.

I think this is a hen, and she is a beautiful girl, but I know nothing about her: Could she be a he? Looks like a frizzle but that doesn't narrow down the breed does it? She's got 5 toes and feathered legs, and is MUCH smaller than my full grown orpingtons, and wyandotts. Is she young or just small? I did notice what looks like new feather growth on her head (lotsa quills), but I don't know if this is because she is still developing (not seeing a lot of fuzz), or if it's regrowth from her trials and tribulations.

Here's a pic, maybe some of you more seasoned chicken keepers can give me a clue?

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a silkie frizzle or aka young sizzle roo 5 toes and whitish earlobes give him away

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    a sizzle cockerel

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Lol, X 2

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, I'm with them... Sizzle cockerel.

6. SeaChickens

SeaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    He looks a little like my cochin, who's about 2 months old. Here's a pic of him:

[​IMG]

I think sizzles (or I've seen frizzle) are usually Cochins, but I'm a chicken newbie so not positive. I just know my boy is much smaller than his similar aged coop mates who are a RIR, BR, and an Lorp.

7. LookLita

LookLita New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Austin, TX
    He's not crowing and no spur. Does this mean he's still very young?

Also his coloring is so unusual to me, it's hard to tell in the photo, but some of his feathers are SO green. Could he be a mutt? If so, what do you guys think he's a mix of (silkie + ?).

Thanks for the responses so far, I have 9 hens already, but this is my very first mystery chicken, so I am a little excited ;)

8. LookLita

LookLita New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Your cochin is gorgeous btw :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hes probably a frizzled cochin and silkie mix

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Oh, he's so interesting-looking! I've never seen a chicken look so thoroughly bewildered before. Can you keep a roo?

And just curious, but why do you guys think he's got silkie in him? Don't silkies have dark skin? He def looks part-cochin to me, though [​IMG] What a cutie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by