1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adopted chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wookiebreath, Oct 14, 2007.

1. wookiebreath

wookiebreath New Egg

Oct 14, 2007
    Hello,

I've just moved into a new house and the previous owners couldn't take their chickens with them so we happily adopted them.

I have no idea how old they, the neighbour thinks they may be 3 to 4 years old.

I've had a google trying to find out what breeds they are with some success... hopefully the people on this forum might be able to fill in the blanks for me...

By the way I'm in Australia....

Chicken 1 - Cilla (I think she is an Australorp)..... she is very gentle and a regular layer.
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australorp

Chicken 2 - Dorothy (?) - she is very inquisitive, an escape artist, and a little bit air headed [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 3,4,5 - Nolean, Blue King, Jackie - these 3 look similar so I am guessing they are the same breed, the larger of the three (Nolean) has gone broody on two occasions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

congrats ! how lucky you are.
    the first one looks just like my Australorps ..........2nd ?
    3rd. Rhode Island red?
    4th ?
    Have fun !

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
  4. wookiebreath

wookiebreath New Egg

Oct 14, 2007
    Ooh exciting... thanks for the quick response....

I'll have a look at that website for more info...

Thanks once again

5. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Second one looks like a exchequer leghorn, but maybe not. She is mottled... anyways, the red ones with black tails are Rhode Island Reds, the ones with white tails are Red Sex-Links.
    You are one lucky joker, to inherit birds with the house.

6. wookiebreath

wookiebreath New Egg

Oct 14, 2007
    Thanks again everyone for your suggestions [​IMG]

Quote:ahhh very interesting... I had a good google on Leghorn and I think she may be an Ancona...
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Anc/BRKAncona.html
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

which is a type of leghorn (or a relative of somekind)....
    she certainly matches those colours... black with white mottling...
    she has the yellow legs and ear lobes.
    she lays white eggs ( or someone does and I'm pretty sure it's her )
    she matches the stated behaviour in that she doesn't like human contact, is flighty and certainly likes to be out and about rather than in the coop.
    she also has this huge floppy comb where the front sits up high and then it flops over to one side in a way that must make it hard to see sometimes [​IMG]

Quote:Looking this breed up on line I have to agree with you.

Quote:Same here... I agree

Quote:yeah I have to admit that I'm only just realising that now... I had no idea they would have such big personalities and provide so much enjoyment [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by