Adopted hen with fuzzy back...feathers plucked out

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
Hello! We have a adopted a sweet Production Red named Dorothy from her flock who picked all the feathers off her lower back. She is red all over with strange grey fuzz where the length of her feathers are missing...she had grey fuzz and feather stubble. So, she looks pretty pathetic. Easy question, could not find the answer in my chick books, but will her feathers only grow back after her first molt (she is about 8 months old). THANKS SO MUCH.

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
The feathers will grow back when she molts next. They will grow back quicker if the quills (feather stubble) was pulled out too....OUCH, I have never done that, but friends have.....Maybe you could put one of those chicken saddles on her--that might cover up her bald spot and if you have other chickens, they won't peck at it either.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
She is not being bothered by my flock...they are too indulged, I think, to even mind another beak to feed. There were a few funny run-ins the first few days, but all are sisters now. I don't know if I could pluck out her feather stubble....owe is right. We will just have to wait for a molt. THANK YOU for posting!

Top Bottom