Adopted Homers... will they stay?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by BecKub, Aug 28, 2017.

1. BecKub

BecKub Chirping

May 11, 2015
    So I acquired 4 homers recently. I'm not sure how old they are, but they showed up at my work one day (state park). Apparently a lady was training her dog with them and they never went home. They just stayed right by our office.

I have a pointing dog in training and I decided to keep the birds to use ourselves (the lady never came back for them). We acquired a coop and we're all set for starting our flock!

I'm wondering how long they'll need to be in their coop before releasing them. Since they didn't fly home the last time they were released apparently... I'm wondering what the deal is with them. I'd hate for them to fly back to their original home, but I don't know if there's a way of avoiding it. But why didn't they fly home when the lady released them at the park? I know very little about them and just looking for more information.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

scottcaddy and biophiliac like this.
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing 5 Years

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    They look like very young birds there is an absence of the white cere that to me suggest they may be still making the squeaker vocalization and may just starting to develop there mature coo. They seem to have poor homing instincts regardless at this juncture for what ever reason.

I am going to say a month in their loft should do it.

Set up a bob system and get the pigeons acquainted with walking through it so they can reenter the coop. if it doubles as an aviary or cage it is a plus. Put your birds in a cage outside so they can look around and survey the area during that time. Release one at a time hungry (suspend food for at least 12 hours)

GEDC0171.JPG

scottcaddy likes this.
  3. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    They look like very young birds there is an absence of the white cere that to me suggest they may be still making the squeaker vocalization and may just starting to develop there mature coo. They seem to have poor homing instincts regardless so at this juncture.

I am going to say a month in their loft should do it.

Set up a bob system and get the pigeons acquainted with walking through it so they can reenter the coop. if it doubles as an aviary or cage it is a plus. Put your birds in a cage outside so they can look around and survey the area during that time. Release one at a time hungry (suspend food for at least 12 hours)

View attachment 1123793

scottcaddy likes this.
  4. BecKub

BecKub Chirping

May 11, 2015
    Ok thank you!! We have a large coop now with a "door" and an aviary. The bob system I thinking you're talking about doesn't have an aviary attached though.

How do I get them used to going into the coop through the small metal bars?

Thank you!!

scottcaddy and biophiliac like this.
  5. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I suggest you use a bit of ingenuity to attach a box or some sort of container to the outside of your loft to temporarily house them in until they get used to walking through the bars to gain access.

scottcaddy and sourland like this.
  6. BecKub

BecKub Chirping

May 11, 2015
    Ok, We can do that I'm sure. They would be able to go in, but couldn't come out through that opening. Should we just periodically take them out and let them go in so they get used to it then? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I really appreciate your help!!

scottcaddy, Hokum Coco and biophiliac like this.
  7. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    This video may help:D

8. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI

scottcaddy likes this.
  9. BecKub

BecKub Chirping

May 11, 2015
    Oh wow that's fancy! I think we can probably rig something up. We've got some chicken wire left over

scottcaddy likes this.
  10. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Doesn't have to be that fancy.:lol: I forgot to say before, those are some very pretty birds with grizzle markings and the red one too!!.:love

BecKub and scottcaddy like this.
  11. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but I do not think those birds are homers. They appear more to be rollers or roller crosses. The suggestions about a 'settling' cage are the way to go. Secure the bobs in the open position, place settling cage on landing platform (if it extends up to the loft roof even better) allow the birds to be comfortable out there. They will even learn to dive into the coop at the arrival of a hawk. Later you can place them in the cage with the bobs down so that they learn how to navigate the bobs. Hokum's advice in post # 2 is excellent. Good luck with your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: