Adopted Muscovy Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stordahlfarms, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Stordahlfarms

Stordahlfarms Hatching

Jul 7, 2017
    i just adopted 3 adult Muscovy ducks. 2-Drakes and 1-hen. I brought them home and put them in the chicken coop. How long should I keep them locked in before I allow them outside to free range around the yard?(live on 10 acre farmstead)

Previous owner said the drakes get along, is there an issue with having 2-drakes to 1-hen?

I hope to have the hen hatch out eventually and and expand the flock.

2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    I'd keep them locked in for at least a week and then watch carefully when they are released. I advise that you part with a drake or pen him separately; drakes can be hard on the hens when it comes to mating.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes...The seller seen you coming....;)
    Those Drakes will over breed and fight over that one single Hen....Even one Drake needs at least 3 Hens .....:frow

4. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Songster

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I was told to feed at the same time daily and they would stick around. I have had some vanish but I think someone may have been stealing them. The 2 I have now were turned loose with 1 existing drake the day I got them and they have remained for well over a month. They do tend to vanish in heavy storms but they showed up again the next day for dinner. The drakes don't fly nearly as well, if at all, when full grown.

5. Ayam onthe Farm

Ayam onthe Farm In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Arizona
    Definitely a bad male to female ratio. There is no guarantee they will stay around. Just keep feeding them, hopefully that will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: