Adopted Orphaned Wild Turkey

chunky_ficken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Hi all, I'm new to these forums, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. We raise Eastern Wild Turkeys, as well as chickens, and live on a rural road about 15 minutes from a fairly large city. Our turkeys are the talk of the neighborhood, as they are easily visible from the road, and the driveway to the church next door.

Saturday morning, I got a call from a neighbor that lives about 5 miles up the road, wanting us to take a young wild turkey hen that had barely escaped a pack of coyotes. Both her parents and 4 siblings had been killed by the pack, and she was undoubtedly going to be next. We have a fenced area, while her old home didn't.

It was a no brainer for my wife and I, and we had them bring her down. She is in an 8 x 8 pen to get acquainted with our other birds, and is adjusting well. We have a couple of 8 week old poults from our recent hatch with her, and they've already bonded. Here is a picture of her (we named her Annie, short for Orphan Annie)

34798_orphan_annie.jpg

what a cutie! it should be interesting to see where she fits in the intelligence and pecking order. let us know how she does.

Thanks Wanda, thanks Annek.......I think she is going to integrate well.....the matriarch of our turkey hens (Gracie).....spends a lot of time at the fence close by and they've been chirping at each other, and also hasn't bristled up yet, so I'm hopeful she'll be okay.

Puffy is showing off for her too........she even fanned out for him, so hopefully he'll protect her. Thanks again for the kind words.

Big T

Back
Top Bottom