1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adopted spradle leg chick-update-help, please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petlove, May 1, 2008.

1. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I was at the feed store yesterday and saw a chick sprawled in the brooder. I always have to see the babies. The chick also had pasty butt. I picked it up to clean it's bottom and the manager said to go ahead and take it home. If I could nurse it, it's mine. He was ready to cull it.
    I taped it's legs like I've seen in other posts. So far it is doing ok, eating and drinking and even standing better. I have yet to see a good poop, though. My camera is on the blitz. Hopefully I will have pics soon so it's breed can be identified.
    Sorry for the long thread. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What a lucky little chick that you came along! I'm sure he'll give you a good one pretty soon heheheheh. Good luck on the legs, it worked on one of mine really well.

3. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I have taped the legs, as shown in previous posts, and thought things were going well. Then the left foot and toes have curled and a made a cardboard boot. With all this fussing I think she has stopped eating. I haven't seen her poop. I have softened crumbles for her. Has anyone had any luck with hand feeding, or is it time to let her go? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Just give her a little more time...I'd make sure that she's eating and drinking...and keep an eye on her bum to make sure it stays clear.

5. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Quote:She hadn't been pooping. Come to find out that she had an underdeveloped vent. She wasn't able to poop. She stopped eating. I euthanized her last night. [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by