Adopting a 4 year old Jack Russel Terrier today... what am I in for?

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
I'm off to get a Jack Russel Terrier today. Its four years old already, fixed male. He has been "free ranging" his whole life so far on a 300 acre farm, but his brother has been killed and the owner wants to find him a good family (mine) to live with so he doesn't have the same fate.

I am wondering if this isn't going to be a big mistake. The current owner has 30 +/- chickens and has lost some to dogs once but he says he doesn't think it was the JRT... he thinks it was the curs and black and tans.

I'm nervous, so please tell me your positive, chicken friendly JRT stories.

Edited to add:
Obviously I'm going to be taking procautions to keep the JRT from the chickens in the first place... before anyone want to lecture me. (there is always one)

Last edited:
I only know folks who love them dearly, but they jest that they are Jack Russel Terrorists...

Don't trust the dog. Period. Don't let the birds and the dog unsupervised until you are p0ositive beyond alllllllllll doubt there isn't a prey drive for your birds. Better safe than sorry.

OK....you asked for positive stories, but I cannot give you one, as my JRT experience (neighbor's dog) resulted in several of our girls getting killed. I think it is a terriers instinct to hunt creatures smaller than they are. Good luck, please be so very cautious...btw this one was a female JRT if that makes any difference, not sure of age

Honestly, my mother's Jack has been so good with the chickens. I never expected it. She's a 2 year old intact female, and she has extreme OCD. But, the chickens hardly phase her.
27119_dsc_0345.jpg

Last edited:
We raised them for years and have 4 now that are all fixed, they are perfectly fine supervised with the birds and even go in the runs with me. I do not trust them unsupervised. Yes they are called Jack Russell Terrorists, they can have OCD tendencies, but their entertainment value is well worth all the problems.

My mother had one when when I was young (about 4 until 10). It was black and white and called Suzie.

If they are all roughly of the same temperament, here are some tips

Don't blow in it's face. It will bite your nose.
Don't feed it rice crispies covered in sugar. It will lose it's teeth.
Don't assume because it's lost it's teeth you can now blow in it's face. It will bite your nose with extremely hard gums.

All good info... I have never OWNED a JRT (until later today) but am quite aware of the breeds energy level and brain power.

He says that this one is much more laid back than the one who was killed. So that is a plus. This dog will not be kept outside 24/7 anymore... so I'm also worried about inside issues, but those I can deal with. I'm wondering, though, how well he will do inside the backyard fenced in area just for the dogs. I mean, he might just dig out and get to the birds.

I already have 2 boxers and one is a saint and the other a terror. The "bad girl" has dug out OFTEN and pinned down chickens more than once, but never killed one... or even injured it to the point of it being a problem. Just pulled feathers... and once shoved the hen (standard Delaware) into ... yes into... a pallet. I couldn't believe it's back or legs weren't broke!

Anywho, I'm really worried about it digging out. Don't JRTs dig easy? I'm prepared with a backup home for him that the current owner also agreed would be a good home if he doesnt' work out here. The current owner is my superior at work.. so I didn't want to upset him... plus he has always been a good guy to me, so I wanted to do him the favor. I'm just nervous!!!

Back
Top Bottom