Adopting a pot belly pig...HELP! *UPDATE w PICTURES*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SarahF, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, so I contacted our local Humane Society yesterday saying that we are always available for adopting chickens, ducks, goats, or pigs. We only have chickens, but are interested in all four animal groups.
    Today I get an email saying that they have one pot belly pig who needs adopting. He is neutered, 1.5 years old, approx 20-25 lbs and is very friendly, even with other pigs. Sounds great.

Now I just have to convince hubby!!!!! He wanted to get pigs in the spring, but this guy is only $20 and needs a home! We have a home, I'll say!

I've done my research on food and shelter. Just wondering though, we were supposed to go away for the weekend, and now I'm a little worried. I'm ok with staying home, and I'm sure DH will be to. I'm just thinking, where will we put him TONIGHT?!?! DH won't have time to get his pen ready (the extra coop we have is full of old windows and doors).

I don't know what to do!?!?! I could keep him in the basement, but I don't want him making a huge mess and get into things. DH keeps everything down there, as its an unusable space.

Could I possibly put a dog house in the chicken run (fully fenced in with roof) and close up the chicken door to the coop till DH gets home tomorrow? I would put old blankets and straw in there to keep him warm, its not supposed to get too cold here tonight (-5). I could pick up his food also on the way to check him out. SO thats not an issue.

ANYWAYS, tell me what you think about the dog house in the run for one night.

THANKS!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Contact redhen she can help you she has 2

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you seen this pig yet?? Only asking because to me 20ish pounds seems really really small for a 1 year old pot belly. We have had 10 different ones and none of them were ever that small at that age. We have adopted a few out and are down to a smaller number now that are just our babies....I know our one male at 2 was well over 60 pounds himself and he was on the smaller side.
    As for where to put him....because he's new I wouldn't put him in with the chickens unless you are 125% sure he can't get to them. You don't know what he's like yet. You could come home dead birds....we have never had that happen, but our birds are always around the pigs too....And they have very very strong snouts....ours have moved tractor tires(with rims in) just for the fun of it....Now they are not always doing this. I am just stating they are stronger than you think...
    When we have smaller ones (in the house) we use a large dog kennel and they sleep in there and are fine. Let out during the day to run and go potty, but at night they are in the kennel.
    Hope everything works out...

4. SarahF

DH sounds like he is interested, a little disappointed about this weekend's trip being canceled, but interested!

Advice on tonights sleeping arragements is appreciated! Will keep all updated!

I"M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SarahF

We are going to look at him once my DD wakes up from her nap. Should I be looking for signs of mal-nourished? what signs are those?

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

I really am not an expert, but when I picked up my pigs from different places you could always tell the ones that were taken care of and the ones that weren't. Obviously if it looks like it's got dry saging skin (I call it 'old lady skin') that's not a good sign--major weight loss, look to see if it's tusks have been removed(or even filed down). I have never done this before nor have I had to, but if he's fixed thost should of been taken care of then too(or even as a piglet they would of been cut off). Obvious things like toenails/hooves aren't crossed and look well trimmed. These can be done by you, but if they aren't done he might not of had the best care to begin with...Is he friendly or does he run and keep his distance.....Each one of my pot belly's would sit on my lap and let me hold them or even scratch there bellies...They would eat suckers off sticks while I held onto the stick.... [​IMG]
    Sometimes if they were crated in a crate that was WAY to small they could become very hunched back ( I have seen this first hand from a rescue--very very sad).
    I guess that's just a few things...I really dont' wanna scare you into not getting him...They are some of the most wonderful pets. I love having ours and wouldn't trade them for the world (although we have adopted a few out)...Our girls would put a harness on "Moo" (our male pig) and then dress him in a tutu and walk him down the road....he loved it even though it made him look like a girl pig.... [​IMG]
    Can't wait to see pictures of him...Have you thought of a name yet???

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:well..if he is mal-nurished you can get him healthy again...is he getting checked by a vet there? health first, and temperment next...the VERY good thing is he is fixed!..[​IMG]..that will help SO much with his temperment...

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:awesome advice! [​IMG]

9. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:well..if he is mal-nurished you can get him healthy again...is he getting checked by a vet there? health first, and temperment next...the VERY good thing is he is fixed!..[​IMG]..that will help SO much with his temperment...

True about getting him healthy again, I was getting at more the internal problems that go along with malnutrition....Even temperment problems can be cause by malnutrition(food agression and such)....
    Pot belly pigs are a bit different than farm pigs(really not much), but some vets won't deal with PBP's (even if they work with feeder hogs)....
    Again....pictures...can't wait....

10. SarahF

oh my goodness, im getting so excited. we're leaving in 30 minutes to go look at him!!! AHHH

Thank you for all the signs to look for. We are going to borrow DH's parents dog kennel to transfer him home.

Names...no, not yet! any suggestions? DD is only 12 months old, so she doesnt really have a say. SHe'd call him DADA cause thats all she says. haha

I'll post pics tomorrow...if we get him. but i'm 99% sure we are [​IMG]

EEEK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by