1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adopting a Rooster as a pet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenRajni, Feb 13, 2017.

1. JenRajni

JenRajni New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    My sister has four roosters this year and wants to re-home all but the dominant one. I really like them, and I would love to let one live with me. I live in the country and have a well-built dog house that I can convert into a nice shelter. I am in the woods, so I would like to let him wander as he would like to do. I have no worries with noise where I am. I do not want to raise a bunch of chickens, though. I have some questions:

Can I adopt 2 roosters and no hens?

I need hens, right, so he won't be lonely? Or can he be happy with me? ;)

Do I need to make an enclosure, or can he be truly free range all the time?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    He needs other chickens to not be lonely but with no hens to fight over you can have him with another rooster. Some people do keep "bachelor pads" of males. You will want to make sure you can lock him (or them) up securely at night... I mean raccoon, weasel, rat, fox, etc proof. If you never ever go out of town or won't be home late or leave early then that will be enough. Otherwise, I would also make a secure pen for those instances.

3. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Of course, you could also just let him be wild and sleep in the trees and try his best at that, but realize that, like having an outdoor cat, the lifespan is severely diminished.

4. JenRajni

JenRajni New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Thanks. I might adopt 2 roosters then. My sister and landlords have chickens, so we have plenty of eggs and I do not want to maintain a flock if I do not need to. I just want a pet. I will use your tips to secure them! Thanks!

5. JenRajni

JenRajni New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Follow up question: Can I keep regular roosters with guinea hens?

6. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La

You may experience some fighting mixing them. I have guineas in the coop with my chickens and they are happy together now. But for the first week or so the guineas fought my alpha rooster any time they got close to him. After about a month they got along well enough that they started roosting right next to him at night!

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    As long as you're taking two and there is one left, why not take all three? That way if something happens to one the remaining one still has a friend. With chickens, the more the merrier. (being an instigator to chicken math in action.)

2 people like this.
  8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Guineas really like to pull rooster tails. Take all three and maybe they will be threatening enough for the guineas to leave them alone (not likely... my guineas will kung fu kick my turkeys without batting an eye).

9. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I'd agree with everyone above. If I had it to do over again. I'd just have roosters. I love my guys.[​IMG]

The roosters grew up together so they should be fine. It's hard to say with guineas. I find the male guineas to be the troublemakers who go around and pull feathers and stuff. The femals are more vocal...and less aggressive. I have my 13 guineas in with my hens and it got better. Last year my young guineas followed and stayed with my pet rooster and I controlled them through him.

You may have an issue when you turn these roosters out IF the guineas are out. I had a male guinea who kicked the crap out of the last rooster I got and they would've just killed him. They fight different. And then the male guinea and his posse stalked that rooster for several days still trying to finish him. Everything's good now. It's a process. If you can put the roosters in an area the guineas haven't been...and THEN turn the guineas with them. Then the guineas aren't in a dominant position and they're on unknown turf.

With free ranging, there's always the risk of predators. You may not see them...but they're there. Good luck with those guys! They're lucky to have you!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by