Adopting a single 6 week old maran?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Apr 10, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Would this be possible? We only have room for one more chicken :(, but would love a maran. There is an add on craiglist for maran pullets, about six weeks old. They look fully feathered in. We would of course wait to introduce her to my other hens, probably keeping her in a pen until about 14-16 weeks old. The pen would be in the middle of the other hens area, so they could get used to her. I have integrated a single pullet before, and it went a little rough, but I think I've learned alot.

And of course I'm also worried she might be lonely... I would THOROUGHLY spoil her! I would probably be out there half the time.

What do you think? Would this work?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ofvcourse it could work:D The work is up to you...do they free range? I ask because by the time she gets old enough to be out with the older girls...Its easier for her to ave space to run away from bullies when needed...keeping her near and in plain view of the others is a great idea...how many birds do you have and coop space? Are you sure you cant buy 1 more sister to go with her?

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    They don't free range but they have a HUGE yard to run around in, with lots of hiding places such as bushes. And I'm sure I'd be willing to do the work :) As long as she payed me back with some chocolate eggs [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thats great! Are you sure you cant take two so they have company with eachother?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by