1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adopting Ex-Battery Farm Hen Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechickens8, Jun 6, 2016.

1. silkiechickens8

silkiechickens8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    I'm getting 8-10 ex-batts on Thursday and am worried about bringing in diseases. How long should I quarantine? Any advice on things I can do to prevent a disease outbreak? Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Considering the sorts of conditions they have been kept in, I would say quarantine MINIMUM 4 weeks and preferably 6-8. Definitely use a canary or even two from your own flock.

3. silkiechickens8

silkiechickens8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    Is there anything else I can do other than putting one of my existing birds in with them and see if the get sick? I don't know if I could do that I love them all! Thanks for the answer on the quarantine. I'll probably try to keep them separate for 8 weeks. Thanks!

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's the safest option. You can't use an outside bird - because you can't guarantee its health. Not using a canary risks infection if the ex-bats do have something and remain asymptomatic (not particularly likely but plenty possible). Better to lose one or two birds than an entire flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by