Adoption marathon week!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDbeads, Nov 17, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Just when hubby and I thought it was hopeless and that we were bordering on far too many animals on 1/3 acre......
    We are adopting out 4 this week!!!

We do private rescue, as in if we see something that needs to be handled and we have the room and funds, we will deal with it and hope to find it a new home within a decent span of time. This is hard for hubby since his mother tends to be a hoarder. Sometimes he feels I'm heading the same way but then most of the time he sees that I'm doing something that needs to be done and everything that comes in the door is neutered or spayed ASAP.
    Anyway. We agreed to pull an old girl last week before she was to be put down at a kill shelter. While I was gone to get her we got a call about 2 dogs we've had in foster for 16 months. The prospective owners came last Saturday and fell in love with the pair and are taking them home this coming Saturday, this is a blind dog and her buddy. We honestly thought no one would ever adopt a pair, much less a BLIND dog and they are both seniors as well.
    Last night the mayor's wife mentioned she was looking for a buddy for a cat she had adopted from me a year ago, she came buy today and adopted a cat we've had here since May. She will also be wanting to buy a bunch of chicks from us once they get their coop built and it starts warming up!
    The last little kitty goes to her new home tomorrow, she gets a barn all to herself, she's been here since August.

This is a HUGE relief for us.... we just found out my cat Ashe of 11.5 years is going blind rapidly. It's not glaucoma, the vet says it's permanent, most likely from the meds we had to use for years for an immune disorder. The poor thing has had it rough for far too long and now this, she was an severely abused foster we never could find the right home for so she just stayed with me. The immune disorder that has robbed her of half her teeth but she still fights on. Having to teach her how to handle everything is going to be a nightmare since she also has no sense of smell, it's going to take a lot of work. And no changing of anything for a long while.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Great news!!

3. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Bless you for providing a safe refuge for them until their forever home is found. I think your kitty who is going blind will adjust amazingly well. By brother has a pit-x who is completely blind from catracts (we looked into surgery, but it would be around $4,000). We all live on 40 acres and he roams around the whole property on his own. He knows the paths and will literally run from my brothers house to my mom's place, then trot down the hill to my place (he gets goodies wherever he goes). The only time he had a problem was when he needed to wear a cone - the horses were curious about it and surrounded him and he didn't know how to get out of there. Luckily I came along and all was well. Animals are amazing the way they adjust to hardships - as you know from experience.

4. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    We've had several blind and or deaf dogs here so it's a common thing for us to have to deal with. We usually do scent marking with fragrance oils through the house to outline where things are like the couch, tables etc. Different fragrance for each room so they'd know they were entering a new room. Just not entirely sure how to deal with a cat that has no sense of smell, new territory but we'll figure it out [​IMG]

It is so much calmer in here with the first cat in her new home, she was a stinker. Tomorrow will be quieter since the kitten that leaves tomorrow has one heck of a set of lungs on her. And then Saturday evening is going to feel weird, Sally won't be barking while we do up the food bowls or for the half hour before. There will be far less squabbling over the dog beds than there has been in over a year. I won't have to remark the room with the oils in a few days. It will be a huge relief but.... it's going to be odd until we settle back down into a revised routine.

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    2 down 2 to go!!! Saturday morning we will be short 2 dogs [​IMG]

Tomorrow is massive clean up day for the sewing room where I've been housing the 2 hooligans that are now in new homes. I'm kind of afraid at what I'll find destroyed in there [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by