Adoption question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattgal, Apr 7, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    ok so I got some day old delawares from the store Tuesday and my broody hen is due on Monday through Saturday next week.
    (I don't have many chickens so I had to drop a few every day for a week to get 14)
    If I put the chicks under the mama after her chicks hatch, (providing that she keeps them) will the chicks recognize her as their mom?
    The hen could adopt them but I was wondering since the chicks have been inside for a bit if they would know to stick with moma?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I once had a lady come and buy some almost 3-week-old chicks from me to put under her broody hen. I wasn't sure it would work at that age but she wanted to try so I suggested putting them under her at night. She called next morning to say the hen was very proud of herself for hatching out a batch of such healthy chicks and the chicks, despite having been in a brooder all their lives, had already accepted the hen as their new momma and were following her around. I only have one anecdotal experience to report though - others may have had different experiences.

3. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:I'm exited. I can't wait till those chicks hatch so I can put the older ones out with them.
    that's another thing will the different ages matter? I have 7 that are day old one that is a week old. and well the others will all hatch on different days too

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Kinda depends on the hen.
    Is she an experienced mom... was she a good mom before? + +
    How many babies will she have total... and how big is she? + +
    Do you have a place to close them all in together (big enough for the #s)... closed together for 2-3 days helps them all bond. + + (w/food and water, of course!)
    Make the addition @ night with as little commotion as possible... and try not to let her actually see what you are doing.
    Remember, chickens can't count... and with so many, color won't be noticed either... but a hen can be overwhelmed with TOO many to keep track of... it is a balance.
    Good luck w/your babies! And I hope to hear of your success... and pics, of course!
    [​IMG]

5. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    mmaddie's mom :

Kinda depends on the hen.
    Is she an experienced mom... was she a good mom before? + +
    How many babies will she have total... and how big is she? + +
    Do you have a place to close them all in together (big enough for the #s)... closed together for 2-3 days helps them all bond. + + (w/food and water, of course!)
    Make the addition @ night with as little commotion as possible... and try not to let her actually see what you are doing.
    Remember, chickens can't count... and with so many, color won't be noticed either... but a hen can be overwhelmed with TOO many to keep track of... it is a balance.
    Good luck w/your babies! And I hope to hear of your success... and pics, of course!
    [​IMG]

She is an EE x leghorn. so not a huge hen. she was sitting on 14 eggs. 3 didn't make it this far. my last hen to go broody only hatched 7 out of 15 so i'm not terribly concerned about numbers
    this is her first time being a mom so I guess we will see how it goes.​

6. mmaddie's mom

Quote:She is an EE x leghorn. so not a huge hen. she was sitting on 14 eggs. 3 didn't make it this far. my last hen to go broody only hatched 7 out of 15 so i'm not terribly concerned about numbers
    this is her first time being a mom so I guess we will see how it goes.

Yep, she doesn't have all the +s I had hoped for for this to be successful. [​IMG] That would be a lot of babies for a hen her size. If you do try it, watch closely in the beginning because she may try to kill any that she doesn't want and you will have to get them out fast.
    Good luck... whatever you try.

7. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Here are the baby chicks and the bigger one who is a week old
    [​IMG]

and my youngest showing them their home to be
    [​IMG]

8. mmaddie's mom

Sweet babies... chicken AND human! [​IMG]