Adorable Blue Silkie Hen in need of Home! (Washington)

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Shannon728, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Shannon728

Shannon728 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    We have an adorable, fluffy bantam silky named Harley in need of a good home. She's a sweet little thing, but when she was a chick her twin sister sadly died, leaving her to be the only silkie in a flock of six. This has led her to be extensively picked on by several of the Brahma bantams, and left her quite isolated. Silkies are known to be an extremely quiet breed, but Harley is an exception as she constantly cries out of loneliness whenever all the other chickens have left her in the dust. The crying has created a problem as we live in a suburban area and they are literally backyard chickens, but besides concern for our neighbors, we also feel a tremendous amount of pity for her. So now we're on the search for a a loving home with other silkie chickens just so that she's not by herself anymore.

We live in Maple Valley, Washington and if there's anyone out there with a spot for one more (perhaps a little talkative) bird, please let us know.

She's about 3 years old and a pretty consistent layer. If you're interested, I can also send a picture.

2. Awh! She sounds adorable!

3. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    I hope you are able to find her a home. You might want to try Critter Queen Animal rescue. She is in Maple Valley and has a flock of chickens. If she doesn't have silkies to put yours with she will probably know someone who does. If you need the contact info, let me know and I can look it up. Too bad my RIR hen is fairly bossy or I'd take your girl. :)

4. AxelFlynn08

AxelFlynn08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    There's a good chance I'm losing one of my hens, but even if I were not, I'll gladly take her and give her a very loving home with three other silky boys, two of which are very sweet and accepting of other birds. She could snuggle with them or my hens at night.

5. faunadocpam

faunadocpam Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    SW Washington
    We have about a dozen chickens including two silkies. She's welcome to join us. We have a farm near McKenna and could either come get her or you could bring her if you'd like to see where she will live.

6. Shannon728

Shannon728 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    I seemed to have made a mistake in what to call her color; she's actually a Splash just incase it makes a difference to anyone.

7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I am in Covington if you want to come see my Silkies and decide if she would be happy here.

1 person likes this.
  8. faunadocpam

faunadocpam Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    SW Washington
    I am retired so I can come get her during the day in the next couple of days or, if you work, on the weekend. Apparently I can't add attachments to this post so if you want to give me a different email address I'll send you photos of where she'll live and her new flock. We don't have close neighbors so even if her crying has become a habit and she still does it even when surrounded by her new flock it won't be a problem. We have cockatoos and donkeys... My "real" email so you can send me your address: [email protected]

9. Shannon728

Shannon728 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    I'd like to thank everyone for all the offers and advice for Harley finding a new home, we're all extremely grateful! This weekend we took up one of the offers and now Harley is in a new wonderful home and making all sorts of interesting friends :) Again, thank you everyone so much!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by