Adorable broody hen. Also help please (^_^)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sabias5, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sabias5

sabias5 Out Of The Brooder

I have a broody bantam. She's my first to go broody. I've been dunking her in water for the last few days but she just goes straight back to the nest. If I lock her out of the nest boxes she nests round the back of the coop.

Yesterday I went out and she was sat at the back of the coop. When I went near her she growled and when I lifted her up she had foraged 2 round seed pods and was sitting on them. [​IMG] I felt so sorry for her. She just wants to be a mum.

I know I need to stop her but I've tried separating her (She spent the night in the laundry sink) and dunking her in water repeatedly.

Is there anything else I can do to help her?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You know, at this point I would just give her the victory on this one. She's obviously one determined woman. Some birds just can't be broken out of broodiness.

Just make sure she gets off her nest at least once a day to eat and drink (more often is better), and eventually she'll bore herself to tears,and stop being broody. This may take up to a month.

Good luck!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have the space for a few more chickens, even one or two? If so, I would give her a few eggs. It would only take one or two chicks to make her happy.

If not, try a wire cage that's elevated so that air can get to her behind and cool her off. Don't give her anything in the cage that she could use to make a nest of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by