Adorable chickie story-anyone ever had this happen??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, Dec 2, 2007.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    In the midst of our winter storm last night, my girls had to be picked up one by one and carried across the yard to their coop-see, they huddled under our deck when the storm started, and come dusk, they were afraid to come out. One hen in particular was very cold and shaking, so the kids brought her in the house to warm up. I wrapped her in a warm bath towel, and sat on the couch with her, petting her, and watching a movie. She cooed happy sounds and was quite at home. All of a sudden, she started breathing funny and I couldn't figure out what she was doing. All of a sudden, I felt something warm and hard under her bum, and here she had laid an egg while she was sitting with me!! That was one of the coolest things that I have ever experienced since having chickens! Melted my heart! My DH and kids couldn't believe it. He said that she would have to feel awfully safe and comfortable to have done that right in your arms. Anyone else ever have this happen?

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    WOW![​IMG] That is amazing!!

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that is so amazing. [​IMG] it sounds like a children's story book or something.

the weirdest thing i ever had happen was years ago i was at a public park. i was just sitting there, not interacting with the animals at all. then this duck came and jumped in my lap. i was so startled, i didn't even pet it. it sat there for a few minutes, then got up and walked off. apparently, it was getting me ready for this life.

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    very sweet, I hope I get chosen as a nesting box one day!!

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Neat.

6. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I had a dog pee on me once! Does that count? (LOL) That was a neat little story........

7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG]
    don't think that counts... [​IMG]

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    "KingsCalls
    I had a dog pee on me once! Does that count? (LOL)"

Not real sure, but I don't really think that ranks real high up on the affection expression list, haha!!

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great story..... she felt comfortable and safe. I have a pretty neat animal story....

A few summers ago, I was fishing at this little lake near my mothers...there were Canadian geese everywhere on the lake. One swam up in front of me....then kept swimming back and forth, makeing fishing impossible. Finally, the goose came to shore...and just laid down...about 5 ft from me. We "talked" for a few minutes...then all of a sudden, he jumped up, and started flapping his wings...honking...and running in my direction. I was on the defense....ready to swat him if I had to. Then, he veered off....behind me...and I watched as he chased a pit bull, that was sneaking up behind me! That dog turned tail and ran...with the goose in hot pursuit! I just sat there, watching the whole thing...untill the dog was gone from site. Then, before I knew it...Mr goose was back at my side...just makeing the sweetest cooing sounds...like he was reassuring me everything was ok. I just sat there and BAWLED!! How sweet he was!

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    thats kewl one time a stood behing a duck laying an egg and she laid it in my hands lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by