Adorable Day(s) Old Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eryniel, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Eryniel

Eryniel Songster

Dec 28, 2017
    West, TX
    I was at a local feed store today and almost bought these chicks because they were just TOO adorable!:love Unfortunately someone beat me to it. :hit

But I was wondering if ya'll could help me find out what breed they are, so maybe I can get some from a local(ish) hatchery? They were in the assorted bantam box.

IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1893.JPG

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    WOW! That has a funky looking pattern, which unfortunately I've never seen before. When you find out what they are let me know! Do you know if it was in the bantam bin? Or what comb type it has?

drumstick diva and Eryniel like this.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I agree, very cute and interesting color!

I am guessing the comb is not a single comb.. because I think a single comb edge would be visible in that one good face shot.

Did you take note of the kind of comb? That would help with guesses.

drumstick diva and Eryniel like this.
  4. Eryniel

Eryniel Songster

Dec 28, 2017
    West, TX
    Unfortunately as I was looking at them someone walked up with an attendant to take them, so I didn’t catch a good glimpse of the comb. (I was too busy trying to chase the bugger for a picture. :gig)
    And it definitely was a bantam! It was in the bantam bin and the same size as the others.

5. Are they quail?

6. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    Ok so cute!

7. What about game bantam?

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Super cute... bugging me that I don't know what they are..

after some looking I found Golden Campine and Sicilian Buttercup.

Both of those are small standard breeds (not bantams) but they were the only breeds that I found that had speckled chicks. :confused:

I however just could not find a good complete list. The best that I found was on the Meyer Hatchery website, and they don't carry many bantams.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  9. Jumbo quail?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are chickens - Possibly mottled cochins, or some other mottled breed. They are gorgeous. I wish you had asked the salesperson what breed they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: