Ads opening Google Play Store and hijacking browser

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by TheGeekySheep, Oct 28, 2014.

1. TheGeekySheep

TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Browsing with Chrome on an Android 4.4 phone: The mobile website is almost unusable for me because of the frequent ads that open the Google Play Store to get me to buy apps.

I don't mind banner ads, or even pop-up ads that I can close, but opening up other apps on my phone or taking me to a different website without me clicking on anything is too invasive. It even happens while I'm writing a post, but luckily when I press the "back" button to get out of the Play app my text hasn't been lost.

2. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Same here using an iPhone. It seems certain ads take over and make navigating to the next page impossible. If I hit back, I can try to navigate to the page again, but usually the ad blocks it again. It's been taking several tries the last few days, especially with the political ads.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the info and the report! We've escalated this issue to our team and they are working on it. We think it's a rogue ad from one of the ad networks (like Google AdSense) and hopefully we can find it and get it destroyed from the face of the Earth... or at least from BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. TheGeekySheep

TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Georgia
    This is getting ridiculous, lol.

Read one post.
    d.mobpartner.mobi
    Zynga Poker!
    Back button, back button.
    Read half of another post.
    d.mobpartner.mobi
    Farmville!
    Back button, back button.
    Repeat ad nauseum.

I haven't installed adblock on my phone yet, does anyone know of it stops these?

5. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for posting about this, its been driving me crazy. Occurs on my Android phone and my Nexus tablet.

6. Nifty-Chicken

We're working hard to get these removed! Thanks for your patience!

1 person likes this.
  7. batchhatchin

batchhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    This is about to drive me nuts!! Anyone else having this problem and how do I fix it?!?!?!

8. Nifty-Chicken

@batchhatchin , we're sorry that this is happening and we're doing all we can to isolate the problem and get it fixed.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Same here, Nifty. Except I am also getting pop-ups that say wait for a campaign ad........will load in less than 2 minutes.

10. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have to say I'm seeing a notable improvement in the number of ads creating problems for me. I'm down to one or two that throw up the App Store and that's about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by