Adult age of Cochin chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Huzaifa, May 14, 2016.

1. Huzaifa

Huzaifa New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Can anyone tell me adult age of Cochin chicks??[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you mean at what age will they start laying??? If so, since cochins are a larger breed, most likely not until they're about 6 months of age I would think...

They are considered pullets until they're a year old, at which time they're considered adult hens.

3. Huzaifa

Huzaifa New Egg

May 14, 2016
    at age 6 they start laying eggs is that so??

4. teach1rusl

At approximately 6 MONTHS of age...some may start several weeks earlier; some may start several weeks later. It also will depend a bit on how long the days are when they get close to laying age...so this is just an estimate.

5. Huzaifa

Huzaifa New Egg

May 14, 2016
    i have a pair and there age is more than five months approximately that is why i want to know??

6. teach1rusl

Well, there's no exact way to predict. My larger girls, orpington, austrolorp, and EEs all started laying around 22-23 weeks from hatching. Cochins are a bit bigger, so maybe not until 26 weeks. Again - it's not an exact science, so it could be earlier or later by a few weeks. My girls did start squatting down when I'd go to pick them...maybe a few days before they started laying eggs. Good luck! I'm sure it'll happen soon.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Cochins can be very slow to mature. On average they will start to lay sometime between 6 to 8 months old, but some do take longer. And when they do start laying, they are not prolific layers. Most only manage about 3 or 4 a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by