Adult bird with twisted neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrinceSandwich, Mar 22, 2011.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    My 2 and 1/2 year old Silkie rooster has a crooked/twisted neck. I have him in a cage that is 2 feet tall, then I kept adding staw to the bottom, and I think it got to short for him to hold his head straight. And now he has a twisted neck. He holds his head sideways like his trying to look at the sky ( ever see a goose trying to look at a plane or a hawk in the air?) He hasn't been in the cage all that long, maybe 6 weeks. He doesn't hold his head like that all time, sometimes it's straight. If I pick him up under the wings, and move him up and down like I'm going to toss him, his neck really twists ( Like almost upside down!). It seems like most Wry neck happens with chicks, not adults, so I can't find much info on how to cure it. Anyone have any advice?

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Did you move him to a larger cage? Taller and more area to roam in and walk like a chicken should? Better yet let him out so his poor crooked body can straighten it's self out. Get some poly vi sol liquid baby vitamins and give him 2 drops in the morning and 2 at night. He might have a vitamin deficiency especially if he has not been exposed to fresh air and sunshine. Sunshine is needed for vitamin D formation. Without it bones can weaken and twist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Yes, he is now free ranging in my barn. Please don't think that I run a battery cage farm. I treat my birds very well and give them plenty of space. He was only in this cage until I could build him a bigger one. I keep all my breeder chickens and call ducks in 4' by 4' pens and larger. He has lots of fresh air and sunshine, he's in a barn, not a cardboard box!

4. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    We just went through this with a 5-month old silkie. She had wry neck as a baby but it cleared up. Suddenly it was back. I had her on Polyvisol vitamins & massage but it didn't work. She slowly died. However I did read posts on here where the chicken recovered with vitamins and care. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by