Adult Button quail feathers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sylverfly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I was just wondering when button quails get their adult coloring. This little guy is just about 3 months old and he still looks nothing like an adult (color wise). So I was just wondering when he’ll get his adult feathers, I guess. Also today is cage cleaning day, excuse the mess in the pic I don’t normally let the cages get that dirty but I’ve been out of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    They continue to molt into defined adult feathers their first year. Your little male should start to molt out this batch of featehrs and have more of his cinnamon adult feathers over the next few weeks. Around 16 weeks they look pretty stunning.

3. quailraisingMan

quailraisingMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    you quail looking very cute.

mine took around many weeks, since i remember studying for midterm of 09 and the little boogers pop out piping and got me all excited.
    then they get bigger and more feather and finally about half a year or bit less to finally look more like http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/Buttonquail7.jpg

its
    really weird when mine look like your, that doesn't look exactly like full grown adult quails, and i started to think there might be something weird, and then the white bib started to grow out and the blue started to come in, but sadly :,[ a cat got to my quail before its fully grown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by